Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband sign-up question

Options
  • 24-10-2018 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hey

My grandparents got in broadband last year, the had a phone connection but eir installed FTTH.

It's coming up to the end of their contract. Do they actually have to stay as FTTH? They don't really need the speeds to be honest and any line checker I've used for their landline number says they can get speeds of 100mbs so FTTC.

Just looking to get the best deal for them.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

bonkers.ie can give you an idea of services at the address and costs/offers available in that area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

lenoude wrote: »
    Hey

My grandparents got in broadband last year, the had a phone connection but eir installed FTTH.

It's coming up to the end of their contract. Do they actually have to stay as FTTH? They don't really need the speeds to be honest and any line checker I've used for their landline number says they can get speeds of 100mbs so FTTC.

Thanks!

Are they living in an urban area?

If you are positive that FTTC is available they should be able to order that. An issue I see would be if they wish to keep the same landline number. You may be looking at some downtime. It would be pretty unusual for people to make such a switch so I am not sure of what other issues, if any, that you may encounter.

There are other FTTH suppliers. All or most of those listed with a green home icon should be able to offer services.

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hey

Thanks!

Have you compared prices?
    My FTTH package costs less (includes phone) than I was paying for phone+broadband previously.

Maybe the FTTC (if available at all to them) is an 'up to' speed that is dependent on distance from the cabinet so the actual speed they could receive should be taken into account. It might be only 5Mb/s !!!!

I would be loathe to change without very good financial savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lenoude

Have you compared prices?
    My FTTH package costs less (includes phone) than I was paying for phone+broadband previously.

Maybe the FTTC (if available at all to them) is an 'up to' speed that is dependent on distance from the cabinet so the actual speed they could receive should be taken into account. It might be only 5Mb/s !!!!

I would be loathe to change without very good financial savings.

Currently the best one I can see is Airwire for the FTTH. It seems to be coming in at 60 per month. Just I seen the current deal with Vodafone for FTTC and that's 25 for 6 months and then 45 for the remaining 6 so I was just tempted with that really.

I'll keep shopping around, it may be worth it to stay with FTTH when the speed is pretty much guaranteed.

IJS84 wrote: »
    bonkers.ie can give you an idea of services at the address and costs/offers available in that area

Thanks, was checking it out but only seems to show FTTC pricing from what I can see.

• Advertisement

Thanks, was checking it out but only seems to show FTTC pricing from what I can see.

You never answered if they are in an urban area or not. If they are not it's likely that the FTTC speed will be poor or non existent. The areas where both FTTC and FTTH are available simultaneously are quite limited.

You never answered if they are in an urban area or not. If they are not it's likely that the FTTC speed will be poor or non existent. The areas where both FTTC and FTTH are available simultaneously are quite limited.

It would have been rural pre Celtic tiger (outskirts of the town). They got the landline installed in the 2000's so doubt it's direct to the exchange. There's an industrial park built in recent years across the road and any cabinets nearby the house seem to be fibre enabled for FTTC.

It would have been rural pre Celtic tiger (outskirts of the town). They got the landline installed in the 2000's so doubt it's direct to the exchange. There's an industrial park built in recent years across the road and any cabinets nearby the house seem to be fibre enabled for FTTC.

I'm not sure any of the line checkers give a reliable indicator of available speed bar the eir one. What does it say?

However if they are happy with the speeds available on FTTC you probably will get a better deal on that as it is a more mature market.

Advertisement