Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday evening Westport train - how bad is it?

Options
  • 23-10-2018 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I'm planning to head back to Westport this Friday, but I've never taken the Friday evening train from Dublin before. How busy is it usually? Is it possible to get a seat? I was planning to just turn up and buy a ticket but now I'm thinking maybe I should book a seat... Anyone have any experience of this train?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Friday of a Bank Holiday weekend - what could possibly go wrong. All the evening trains out of Dublin will be jammed. Book if it's possible but you will probably find somebody sitting in your seat anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Hi guys

I'm planning to head back to Westport this Friday, but I've never taken the Friday evening train from Dublin before. How busy is it usually? Is it possible to get a seat? I was planning to just turn up and buy a ticket but now I'm thinking maybe I should book a seat... Anyone have any experience of this train?

Book a seat. From my experience, most people will move if they’re sitting in somebody’s seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Probably best not to take the 17.10 but the 18.15 won't be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Westport trains are stuffed on any given Friday. This weekend, well you had better wear comfortable shoes as seats will be few and far between. You could book head; if you do then arrive very early before travel to be sure you get your seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Hi guys

Book the seat. It's cheaper than showing up and buying a ticket and you're guaranteed your seat. People will move if you say "sorry i think that's my seat".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭trellheim

Technically is there not a rule that you must be in the reserved seat at least x minutes before departure ?

trellheim wrote: »
    Technically is there not a rule that you must be in the reserved seat at least x minutes before departure ?

Yes. Can't remember the time but remember reading it in another thread. Book the ticket and arrive in advance. Never had a problem moving anyone out of my seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

43.6 Passengers at terminal stations who wish to claim their reserved seats must be available for boarding at least twenty minutes prior to the advertised departure time of the train.

Doesn't necessarily mean you need to be in the seat 20 mins ahead of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Probably best not to take the 17.10 but the 18.15 won't be much better.

Is the 17.10 generally busier than the 18.15?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Is the 17.10 generally busier than the 18.15?

The 17:15FO stops at all stations to Westport except Manulla so it is a little busier as commuters use it, it being a regular train to Athlone only over the rest of the week. The 18:15 picks up only at Tullamore and Athlone and is quicker by 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Friend on Westport train yesterday was standing as far as Castlerea.
    Maybe everyone's gone home (to vote?) already.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Addle wrote: »
    Friend on Westport train yesterday was standing as far as Castlerea.
    Maybe everyone's gone home (to vote?) already.

The 18.15 turned out to be grand yesterday (Friday), no standing at all, so you're probably right!

Advertisement