Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wacaco Nanopresso

Options
  • 23-10-2018 2:31pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I did a search of this forum and didn't find any posts mentioning the above. This is a portable 'espresso' machine. About as tall as a pint glass, but slimmer and in a nice case, it makes for a portable option to make you coffee shot. Now I got this as a present, but had been seeing a lot of advertising about these things for a while, and I was sceptical.

https://www.wacaco.com/pages/nanopresso

I've had the nanopresso for about a week, and have only used it 10 times or so but I'm honestly blown away by the coffee this machine produces. I have one that accepts only ground coffee, which I grind fresh. Currently using Lavazza espresso beans and it really does make a fantastic espresso shot. Now I'm not entirely sure if this counts as a true espresso, in fact I'm sure it doesn't. But it does produce a lovely crema and a really flavourful shot of coffee.

I'd rate it better than my Aeropress and Moka pot for making a nice strong cup of coffee, although I appreciate that these are all very different machines.

Anyone else use one? Any tips or info?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Never heard of it until now. It does look gimmicky but no more that the aeropress did when it came out so I won't judge it on that!

What has you on the lavazza beans?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Never heard of it until now. It does look gimmicky but no more that the aeropress did when it came out so I won't judge it on that!

What has you on the lavazza beans?

It might still be gimmicky, but it does produce a lovely coffee! As for the beans, I had just finished off my 3fe beans and had to shop local. I quite like them actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

I’ve seen them before on YouTube , consistency would be the issue .
    It is hard to pull a good shot with the decent espresso machine, don’t mind this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

It might still be gimmicky, but it does produce a lovely coffee! As for the beans, I had just finished off my 3fe beans and had to shop local. I quite like them actually.

We have Lavazza in the B2C in work and the coffee is decent for something that's free in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,865 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Anyone else use one? Any tips or info?

I have one of the cheap knock-off versions:

manual-portable-espresso-maker-1_1024x1024.jpg

less than £20

It's cheap in price, not quality of materials or construction. It makes a superb espresso - and it definitely is espresso. I used mine constantly for 6 months, 3 cups a day, when I was between machines. It developed a slight water leak around the piston seals but still works fine. My tip would be to run hot water through it to pre-warm the components then again with coffee. The quickest and easiest method is just to put the reservoir cup in the microwave and heat the water in that directly till boiling. Running that through the apparatus knocks the temperature down to very close to ideal, judging bu the results. Best way to get a decent temperature result.

So all you need to make espresso is a microwave.

I thought of posting about it ages ago but decided not to as I couldn't be bothered with the reaction of the snobs on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Don't know if it's any good but the name is deadly.

cnocbui wrote: »

less than £20.

where?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,865 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

where?

Have a look in that long river in Brazil for the terms 'portable espresso'.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have one of the cheap knock-off versions:

less than £20

It's cheap in price, not quality of materials or construction. It makes a superb espresso - and it definitely is espresso. I used mine constantly for 6 months, 3 cups a day, when I was between machines. It developed a slight water leak around the piston seals but still works fine. My tip would be to run hot water through it to pre-warm the components then again with coffee. The quickest and easiest method is just to put the reservoir cup in the microwave and heat the water in that directly till boiling. Running that through the apparatus knocks the temperature down to very close to ideal, judging bu the results. Best way to get a decent temperature result.

So all you need to make espresso is a microwave.

I thought of posting about it ages ago but decided not to as I couldn't be bothered with the reaction of the snobs on here.

Well that's interesting. Yeah I had noticed the espresso coming out too cool without pre-heating by pumping through boiling water first. I have to say I'm still loving it, I'm going to have a play around with my grinder to see what differences that makes. I might buy some pre-ground espresso grind as a test too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

will take a few weeks to get here but aliexpress looks like the best price

• Advertisement

Ordered, will report back.

I kind of want to order one too, it's payday and all, but I'm afraid that if I bring any more coffee paraphernalia into the house I'll be in the doghouse. I have an aeropress and a v60, as well as the espresso machine and moka pot.

The Homebrew beer equipment is enough as it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

I have a Nanopresso, for about three weeks now. I wanted something portable for on the road. I’m impressed with it but realized earlier on that I needed the optional Barista kit for the Nanopresso. This kit allows you to pull a double espresso which I need to make a decent americano. The barista kit arrived a couple of days ago.

The only problem I’m finding with this is that I can’t really fit the recommended 16g of ground coffee into the larger puck. Not without tamping it heavily anyway, which results in straining to pull a decent double shot. I’m using pre-ground Lavaza. For now I’m going to back off on the amount of coffee I’m adding to make a double, for the sake of doing it correctly. Any advice welcome.

I have a Nanopresso, for about three weeks now. I wanted something portable for on the road. I’m impressed with it but realized earlier on that I needed the optional Barista kit for the Nanopresso. This kit allows you to pull a double espresso which I need to make a decent americano. The barista kit arrived a couple of days ago.

The only problem I’m finding with this is that I can’t really fit the recommended 16g of ground coffee into the larger puck. Not without tamping it heavily anyway, which results in straining to pull a decent double shot. I’m using pre-ground Lavaza. For now I’m going to back off on the amount of coffee I’m adding to make a double, for the sake of doing it correctly. Any advice welcome.

Interesting, I might invest in the barista kit but for now I'm still running just the standard kit. I have found that tamping too hard does cause issues, it won't properly filter through and it will end up dripping out the overflow/pressure valve which isn't great. I have yet to use pre-ground coffee in mine, as I grind at home. I think working with slightly less than the 16g is a good option.

Interesting, I might invest in the barista kit but for now I'm still running just the standard kit. I have found that tamping too hard does cause issues, it won't properly filter through and it will end up dripping out the overflow/pressure valve which isn't great. I have yet to use pre-ground coffee in mine, as I grind at home. I think working with slightly less than the 16g is a good option.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing now and it works fine. I'm getting a decent Americano now from it.

Well I'm a sucker for a gadget.

I'm not sure that my Baratza Encore is grinding fine enough for it, neither am I sure that the resultant coffee is all that different to what I'd get from my Aeropress with the same grind settings and volume of water. I'm using a coffee roasted for filter so I will buy a bag more suitable for espresso on my next order and I may pull out the manual grinder for a finer grind if I think the Encore isn't up to it. The coffee is grand, more sampling required as above.

I'll say one thing though, with a wife who struggles to put the Aeropress back together, there's some amount of 'bits'

dpd4yq.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Like those Russian nesting dolls.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

Been interested in the Nanopresso for a while...

As its black Friday (weekend) I was looking at these on Amazon, sadly no discounts on any of them. They're a lot cheaper from the official Wacaco store, Hong Kong based, and there's a 15% discount.

Are you liable for customs/taxes ordering from there though?

bbolger wrote: »
    Been interested in the Nanopresso for a while...

As its black Friday (weekend) I was looking at these on Amazon, sadly no discounts on any of them. They're a lot cheaper from the official Wacaco store, Hong Kong based, and there's a 15% discount.

Are you liable for customs/taxes ordering from there though?

Yes you are. I ordered mine through Wacaco via Hong Kong and got stung for tax in the region of about 25 euro. When I subsequently ordered the Wacaco Barista kit, I went through Amazon and had no tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Seen them a few times on Adverts and Donedeal but thought they'd be useless (as had an Aeropress (and didn't like the coffee one bit) but have to say I'm really impressed with it so far.

Recommend heating the cup part with some boiling water when using it unless you're gonna add steamed / heated frothed milk of some sort.

The Nanopresso along with a small flask of hot water and I'll be able to make great coffee on the go and so it's bound to save me money given weekly I most likely have been spending €20 or so on coffee.

• Advertisement

Well I ordered a bag of coffee suitable for espresso extraction and I've got to say am impressed with this yoke considering all I paid. It doesn't have the same body or is just as flavoursome as an espresso machine but for the 20 lids or so I'll certainly get my money's worth. I've to try another couple of blends now too.

2u3xit1.png

I've had a play with grind settings and dosed volume with the aeropress and I can't get close* to the nanopress for an espresso like drink.

Would be interested if anyone did some finer tuning that me?

Kudos Alanstrainor ,thanks for the heads-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Think I'll have to buy the Barista Kit now as I've been to speed extract two shots in a row and it just ain't working for me. I don't need that kind of stress first thing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ArcticFox

Ordered, will report back.

Which one did you buy - Arendo or Bescita perhaps?

(I have the same knives as you - they're quality! :D )

Advertisement