Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tranferring offices internally on disability grounds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

tylers wrote: »
    So for some background, I've worked in the Civil Service for about two years now. It's been going ok, except the office I was placed in has had some massive upheavals lately, loads of staff have left, and it's basically being run terribly. This wouldn't be so bad, except I'm struggling with PTSD.

Because of the high-stress area, and it being one of my weaknesses (I work with a lot of numbers, but I have dyscalculia, too!) I've been suicidal and really struggling. I've put in for an internal transfer, because I love the place, I just can't hack that office anymore. I'll probably be having a meeting tomorrow where I'll have to explain myself, so I'm just wondering, has anyone else ever done this? The girl working the job before me went out on stress leave a year ago, and I'm beginning to see why.

Surely I'm not the only person who had to be transferred on disability grounds? Can they refuse me? I don't know what I'll do if they refuse.

Well if the girl before you went out on stress, its not a good sign that they value their staff. To be frank, I don't think they are going to care either way if you explain you feel stressed in your current position but you need to be clever and play them at their own game. Calmly state the facts, that you are struggling to keep up with the workload and need some help. Don't elaborate, don't fill an awkward silence, just practice stating that line and sit in the silence that follows. After all, its up to them to help and assist you.

If they fob you off and tell you to try harder, tell them you are disappointed by the reply and will have to speak to your doctor if your stress gets any worse (I know, hard to say but practice and you will be the one with the upper hand here), that way you have reasonably reached out for help and if they don't help you, you can make a grievance to HR about your issue. but be prepared for a long process and an uncertain outcome. It might be better to search for another job too. Good luck OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tylers

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

That's really helpful, Wanderer, thank you. You're right, I have a habit of over-explaining myself, so I'll state facts and be clear and concise. Yeah, in the two years that I've been there, one girl's gone on stress leave, four people have transferred out, and four have quit. This is an office of 3-4 people. The entire staff has changed a number of times, aside from me, since I've been there, so you can be absolutely sure it's a management issue. Yeah, I have a psychologist obviously, and she strongly recommends moving as soon as possible, so if I have to bring up that my doctor recommends my transfer, I will.

That track record is awful, and let me guess. none of the management have left during all that time? Its always the workers? Classic toxic management and they will not care about your problems if that's the case. So you have to throw it back on them. Say you need help- if no, complain to HR and union if you have one, if they do help, get it in writing such that "further to our meeting, I will be getting a daily follow up or access to training material, etc".

But it might also be worth stating straight out you want a transfer for the reasons given and seeing what they see. Whatever you do try not to sacrifice your mental health for a company that would have you replaced before you are even lifted into the ground...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tylers

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Deleted

Talk in confidence to your Employee Assistance Officer. They are highly trained and very comfortable in dealing with these issues.

www.cseas.per.gov.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement