Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it safe to put a switch on the secondary side of a transformer?

Options
  • 22-10-2018 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

My in laws have a cheap water fountain outside which has a transformer in a junction box buried. I would like to put an outdoor switch on it but I'm wondering is it ok to put the switch on the secondary (DC) side of the transformer?

I'd prefer to not dig up the garden to get it.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

gutteruu wrote: »
    My in laws have a cheap water fountain outside which has a transformer in a junction box buried.

Not a good idea.
    I would like to put an outdoor switch on it but I'm wondering is it ok to put the switch on the secondary (DC) side of the transformer?

Once the switch is properly rated, yes.
    Transformers are but their nature AC in and AC out. If the output is DC it may be a power supply unit of some sort.

Edit: It would be best to have a switch on the input side for local isolation purposes.

Advertisement