Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the correct name for this type of switch

Options
  • 22-10-2018 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭

They are used to control banks of new LED lights in recently refurbished office.
    The lights are also on motion/lux sensors

The switches are always in the same position, so impossible to tell if they are on or off.
    You push the bottom piece as in a normal light switch but it always stays in the "off" position.
    Thanks as always.

ps
    I want to get them changed to normal switches, any issues I should be aware off?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

It’s a grid switch
    3 rows of 4 gang
    Each switch is a push to make

You may not be able to swap these directly for a conventional switch at they probably operate a relay or timer

You will need an electrician to do this if that’s the case

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

meercat wrote: »
    It’s a grid switch
    3 rows of 4 gang
    Each switch is a push to make

You may not be able to swap these directly for a conventional switch at they probably operate a relay or timer

You will need an electrician to do this if that’s the case

Thanks, yes will get a sparks.

I suspect there is a relay, so any thoughts on how the occupants can know if the switch is in the off position and that walking across the motion sensor will not turn on the lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

Thanks, yes will get a sparks.

I suspect there is a relay, so any thoughts on how the occupants can know if the switch is in the off position and that walking across the motion sensor will not turn on the lights?

A little led indicator light wired to switch on when relay is energised. However you may have multiple relays by the looks of that switch panel. You can get indicator lights to fit those blanks in that grid switch

An indicator light beside each motion sensor would work too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

As stated it is a grid switch. However I suspect what you were asking was about the actual switch modules, which are called retractive switches judging by what you have described.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks: they are in an OPW managed building and I want to be abele to describe them correctly as they are a source of irritation to the staff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement