Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8k bike kept in driveway - insurance

Options
  • 22-10-2018 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

I keep my bike in the driveway.

I'm looking at getting a GSX-S750, value around 7-8k.

I'm currently with Principal Insurance and have a policy for a Bandit 650 for €250 fully comp with 9+ years NCB.

Called Principal and they wouldnt quote for the GSX as it will be stored in driveway. Doesnt matter that is anchored. Said the max value they could do would be 4k if in driveway.

Is this the norm for most insurers? Anyone have a similar bike kept in driveway, if so who are you insured with and for how much??

Edit: Liberty gave me an online quote of €477.70 for a GSX-R600, didnt have the GSX-S in the list

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It seems that a lot of insurance companies these days are either refusing to insure, or crippling the payout, on bikes that have a 'high' chance of theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Sonics2k wrote: »
    It seems that a lot of insurance companies these days are either refusing to insure, or crippling the payout, on bikes that have a 'high' chance of theft.

I had the same problem with Principal.

Carol Nash quoted the same price, with no garage stipulation. As long as it was on my property, e.g. driveway.

Bike was €7k value.
    (Admittedly a BMW so not a high chance of theft ðŸ˜)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Carol Nash quoted the same price, with no garage stipulation. As long as it was on my property, e.g. driveway.

By the same price do u mean the €477 quote I got from Liberty?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I had the same problem with Principal.

Bike was €7k value.

?????

paulieeye wrote: »
    By the same price do u mean the €477 quote I got from Liberty?

No, the same price Principal quoted me for garaged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

listermint wrote: »
    [/B]

?????

Lads in Dubland tend to have a preference towards lighter racing bikes they can use for joy-riding and spinning around fields on.

A big heavy ****er of a bike like a GS1200 is less likely to be nicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I had no issues insuring a XSR700 which cost about 9k new, and my house at the time was within a scrote's wispy lip hair of skangerland.

Which backs up the theory that scrotes don't want boring old man bikes.

I do know of someone who used an R1 as a getaway vehicle from an armed robbery. It wasn't faster than a helicopter, at least as the crow flew.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Lads in Dubland tend to have a preference towards lighter racing bikes they can use for joy-riding and spinning around fields on.

A big heavy ****er of a bike like a GS1200 is less likely to be nicked.

They'd steal anything BMW is worth more in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

listermint wrote: »
    They'd steal anything BMW is worth more in parts.

It'd break down before they got away;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Del2005 wrote: »
    It'd break down before they got away;)

Break down !!! How very dare you :mad:

Spokes fall off, front forks collapse or terminal corrosion more likely. ;)

• Advertisement

Bike was €7k value.

In the Interest of full disclosure, it's a K, not one of dem funny, sticky-,out cylinder ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

paulieeye wrote: »
    Called Principal and they wouldnt quote for the GSX as it will be stored in driveway. Doesnt matter that is anchored. Said the max value they could do would be 4k if in driveway.
    I had the same problem. Solved by a quick call to Carole Nash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

I can only tell you I had a Blackbird insured before when I lived in an apartment and told them that I had a garage. Bike was stolen from the surface car park and when they paid out they never asked to see 'the garage'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭COH

I have the z1000 insured with Principal - same value (~8k), told them it was kept in the driveway and wasn't a problem

Advertisement