Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK import hybrids - best choice?

Options
  • 22-10-2018 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

This may be a bit too broad a heading but over the next 6-12 months I'm hoping to upgrade and looking to get a hybrid from the UK.

I have thought about fully electric too but still worried about the infrastructure in Ireland with charging points at the moment.

My trip to work is a 30km round trip with at about half being stuck in slow traffic but I also travel about 10-20km to training and shops or various places on a daily basis, The only other main travel I would do would be 100km trips on the motorway.

I'm thinking of spending between 20-25K Euro and probably 2015 or newer, just wondering what peoples experience in the past may have been with the car. I have a list below of a couple of cars I've been browsing about;

Lexus IS300h (F-Sport)- Prices seem to be competitive for lower mileage examples

Lexus NX300H- Seems a bit bigger and sits higher, may be better for carrying future children or dog (??)

Mercedes-Benz C350e- Another saloon, probably comparable to Lexus. proabbyl more expensive

Mitsibishi Outlander PHEV- Larger size again but would have to get home charger installed (I don't know if the grant covers the installation as it's only partly electric??

Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid- again a bit bigger and Toyota have lots of history in hybrids, may be more cheaper and sensible option

I'm pretty open to idea's about options and questions but seeing if I could get a bit more knowledgeable feedback, especially if anyone has any of the cars listed above. :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

IBrows89 wrote: »
    This may be a bit too broad a heading but over the next 6-12 months I'm hoping to upgrade and looking to get a hybrid from the UK.

I have thought about fully electric too but still worried about the infrastructure in Ireland with charging points at the moment.

My trip to work is a 30km round trip with at about half being stuck in slow traffic but I also travel about 10-20km to training and shops or various places on a daily basis, The only other main travel I would do would be 100km trips on the motorway.

I'm thinking of spending between 20-25K Euro and probably 2015 or newer, just wondering what peoples experience in the past may have been with the car. I have a list below of a couple of cars I've been browsing about;

Lexus IS300h (F-Sport)- Prices seem to be competitive for lower mileage examples

Lexus NX300H- Seems a bit bigger and sits higher, may be better for carrying future children or dog (??)

Mercedes-Benz C350e- Another saloon, probably comparable to Lexus. proabbyl more expensive

Mitsibishi Outlander PHEV- Larger size again but would have to get home charger installed (I don't know if the grant covers the installation as it's only partly electric??

Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid- again a bit bigger and Toyota have lots of history in hybrids, may be more cheaper and sensible option

I'm pretty open to idea's about options and questions but seeing if I could get a bit more knowledgeable feedback, especially if anyone has any of the cars listed above. :confused:

Why not full EV?
    Your trips are within the range of most.
    Ignore the charging infrastructure, you charge at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭IBrows89

kceire wrote: »
    Why not full EV?
    Your trips are within the range of most.
    Ignore the charging infrastructure, you charge at home.

It's something I've toyed with. My wife does a 180km round trip when she works in Limerick and there's only one EV charger in the college so we may have trouble if she has to bring the EV.

I'd would love a Tesla in the future but thinking a hybrid is a good way to get into the electric market and build on that in the future.

I think my next car will be full EV though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

IBrows89 wrote: »
    It's something I've toyed with. My wife does a 180km round trip when she works in Limerick and there's only one EV charger in the college so we may have trouble if she has to bring the EV.

I'd would love a Tesla in the future but thinking a hybrid is a good way to get into the electric market and build on that in the future.

I think my next car will be full EV though.

You'd do 180 km round trip in any of an Ioniq, newer e-golf, new leaf.
    No reason not to get a full ev based on just one odd trip.

(A hybrid is not in "the electric market" as it's just a more expensive petrol car with a bigger battery)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

PHEV removes range anxiety and can be a good stepping stone while you figure out if you want full electric.
    I have an Outlander PHEV and am very happy with it so far.

Suppose you have looked at YT reviews but here is one anyway

Btw, I thought of importing but in the end went with a dealer based in Athlone (ecocars.ie) who imported for me at pretty much the same price as I would have paid myself.

ELM327 wrote: »
    You'd do 180 km round trip in any of an Ioniq, newer e-golf, new leaf.
    No reason not to get a full ev based on just one odd trip.

(A hybrid is not in "the electric market" as it's just a more expensive petrol car with a bigger battery)

As mentioned I am open to it but would prefer to go with a PHEV or hybrid at first and then when upgrading the other car may go full EV. I don't think two full EV's would be an option at the moment.

It may not be in the electric market per say but would be more economical and greener than the diesel I am currently driving.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    PHEV removes range anxiety and can be a good stepping stone while you figure out if you want full electric.
    I have an Outlander PHEV and am very happy with it so far.

Suppose you have looked at YT reviews but here is one anyway

Btw, I thought of importing but in the end went with a dealer based in Athlone (ecocars.ie) who imported for me at pretty much the same price as I would have paid myself.

I had never heard of these before but looking at their site I might get in touch with them and start a discussion with them.

When you got the Outlander did you get a home charger installed? Does the grant work towards it for a PHEV?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

You can get the charger grant for a PHEV. Its a good stepping stone to fully electric.

Advertisement