Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50% off glasses and lenses

Options
  • 22-10-2018 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Got a nice pair of designer glasses from www.designerspex4less.ie using discount code DS4L50B

Exact same frame was more than double in my local opticians.
    My lenses can be expensive cos i need to thin them and 50% came off lenses too so made nice savings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

monkey8 wrote: »
    Got a nice pair of designer glasses from www.designerspex4less.ie using discount code DS4L50B

Exact same frame was more than double in my local opticians.
    My lenses can be expensive cos i need to thin them and 50% came off lenses too so made nice savings.

Hi monkey8 - Thanks for that, I'm in the market for a new pair. Where do you get a prescription? Last time I got a test in specsavers, they wouldn't give the prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭GBX

CPTM wrote: »
    Hi monkey8 - Thanks for that, I'm in the market for a new pair. Where do you get a prescription? Last time I got a test in specsavers, they wouldn't give the prescription.

Maybe go to a local optician and say you need it for your driving license?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

They can't opt out of giving you a prescription. I got my last prescription from them and ordered my glasses online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Thanks everyone. I suppose there's an argument for GDPR as well. Thanks for that link OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Just a note :

I used online Zenni opticals a while ago and custom charged me 29 euros on the item as it came from outside of EU.

• Advertisement

Just a note :

I used online Zenni opticals a while ago and custom charged me 29 euros on the item as it came from outside of EU.

True, but zennis range start at like 4.99 USD and you don't always get hit by customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

True, but zennis range start at like 4.99 USD and you don't always get hit by customs.

Looks like their prices start at €14 so half price is €7 with no chance og customs charge. I assume postage is cheaper.

Anyone know if they do varifocals? Cant see any mention or options for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Link coming up as invalid URL.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Honestfrank01

kdowling wrote:
    Anyone know if they do varifocals? Cant see any mention or options for them?

Varifocals bit harder to order online not only do ya need your pupil distance but also heights of centers need to be taken as well on the frame you buy

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

GaGa21 wrote: »
    Link coming up as invalid URL.

Doesnt work for me if i click link either but if you enter website address in a new window it seems to work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fisher8181

Going to get pair of glasses with this offer but my prescription has no pd measurement on it.

Anyone know if you can just go with the average measurement or if this would make any difference to vision?

fisher8181 wrote:
    Anyone know if you can just go with the average measurement or if this would make any difference to vision?

Depends on your prescription really of you have cyls (cylinders) to correct astigmatism it may affect your vision

fisher8181 wrote: »
    Going to get pair of glasses with this offer but my prescription has no pd measurement on it.

Pupillary distance is very easy to measure. Don't guess it.

How to Measure Your PD?
    Stand 8 in. away from a mirror.
    Hold a ruler against your brow.
    Close your right eye then align the ruler's 0 mm with the center of your left pupil.
    Look straight then close your left eye and open your right eye.
    The mm line that lines up to the center of your right pupil is your PD.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Do you have to stand on one leg too lol

On a serious note
    Might be worth going back to where you got your eyes tested and check.
    Took my other half to specsavers yesterday for her prescription, after a load of hassle and waiting she finally got it.
    They tried selling her new glasses, offering another free test (they claim off the psri) basically begged her not to leave, you could spend a small fortune in that place they are very good at sales

Ah it takes like 5 seconds to do :p

Specsavers don't have to give you the PD and will often refuse.

Specsavers are very much all about the hard sell.

That's how the opticians get bonus by conversion rates how many people they convert to glasses 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Do you have to stand on one leg too lol

On a serious note
    Might be worth going back to where you got your eyes tested and check.
    Took my other half to specsavers yesterday for her prescription, after a load of hassle and waiting she finally got it.
    They tried selling her new glasses, offering another free test (they claim off the psri) basically begged her not to leave, you could spend a small fortune in that place they are very good at sales

Ah it takes like 5 seconds to do :p

Specsavers don't have to give you the PD and will often refuse.

Actually if they have the PD on file they have to give it to you, as it is date about you and you can demand to have it. They will complain and I was told 'we are not allowed to give it', but that's incorrect. Under data legislation they have to, and once I told them that they gave me my full prescription including the PD.
    They only measure the PD at the dispensing stage, so if they haven't measured it they don't have to give it, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Diziet wrote: »
    if they haven't measured it they don't have to give it, obviously.

Had trouble with this when buying online before.

They will say we only measure pd if you buy glasses as part of dispensing.

Not true. Or SHOULD not be true.
    When they are putting on a trial frame to pop the lenses infront of you or even with the fancier machines they are supposed to measure your pd to line them up properly.
    When they wouldn't give it to me once they said they didnt measure it so i told them they should have measured it when setting up the phoropter.

They quickly changed their minds and gave it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Screw Specsavers. Switched to my local opticians years ago after getting sick of their tactics and haven't looked back since. Now I've a great relationship with my optician and they throw me deals every chance they can. I've saved a fortune over the years. Specsavers are experts at making it look like it'll be cheap and then get you with the extras.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Few months back I asked for my prescription and they said no, I told them I just paid for it so it’s mine but the tool was polite but no go. Asked for manager and they said call back for it which is silly as they have it to hand and literally a minute to fill in.
    I was polite but said you’re being a bit silly so I immediately asked for a full copy of all my records, not just my previous prescriptions but also a colour prints of all eye scans and the manager said they can’t do that.
    Grand said I, have you heard of GDPR and you could see the panic in their eyes. I calmly said I’ve made my GDPR request and the 28days are ticking and walked out.
    3 weeks later I got a registered package in the post with everything I asked going back 20yrs I’d say.
    Got my glasses in local optican, better customer service and better pricing too.

I won’t be back to Specsavers or neither will the other 3 bespectacled members of my household because of stupid handling of a simple request for my prescription (only wanted it to order a cheap pair of spare glasses)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What do they make lenses out of? Got my first pair about six months ago and they have loads of scratches if you hold them up to the sunlight.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote:
    What do they make lenses out of? Got my first pair about six months ago and they have loads of scratches if you hold them up to the sunlight.

There made of plastic (polymer cr39) there made from pentax which have a hard coating on them in fairness the lenses are fairly good but not scratch proof

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Don't want to derail the thread, as it's about a bargain, but just want to say that when asked for a copy of my prescription in two Specsavers branches, at time of test or afterwards, they always have given it immediately. On most occasions they've given me the frames and contacts at the same time. And, without any hassle or pushback. Also, I'm not even a big spender there.

This was in Tallaght and off Grafton Street/Dawson Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianb10

anyone know when this offer ends?
    Want to get a pair but won't be able to get eyes tested until next week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

you can use https://www.spex4less.com either, it's cheaper than the above and can get some deals on free extras, anti glare, thinner lenses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianb10

you can use https://www.spex4less.com either, it's cheaper than the above and can get some deals on free extras, anti glare, thinner lenses etc.

Thanks Tar. I had a look but i find the irish site cheaper with the 50% off. I guess it depends on the frame you choose. Uk site had frames up to £285stg.
    My thinner lenses cost me €95 on irish site and are £130stg on uk site.

Plus i like to buy irish where i can (if the prices are similar)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah I suppose it depends on which you want. And supporting local is great!
    I have a code for free 1.6 thickness lenses and free anti-glare for my link if anybody uses it, has to be designer pair: t532

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Jameswhalley

Just a note :

All my zenni deliveries are stopped by customs

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

All my zenni deliveries are stopped by customs

Got a delivery this morning from Zenni posted from Malmo in Sweden?!. I placed the order on the 12th Oct. No customs charge (I rarely get caught for that and use them a lot). I find them by far the cheapest and best. The glasses range is so extensive and quality is fantastic. You can put a picture up and 'try them on' virtually. There are tonnes of reviews and user pics on their site. Just keep the value low, I add a new email and get 10% off every time, they often have 20% off (next will probably be cyber Monday).
    My glasses work out around €10-€20 euro a pair all in including anti glare etc.. I'm like the Imelda Marcos of glasses now. Really cool funky styles too.

On PD, I was able to read mine it off the spec-savers ladies notes. She had written PD 60 down although it wasn't on the prescription I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Deckyalrite

Is there any possibility of claiming PRSI back on a new pair of glasses. Would form O1 work for optical benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Are Zenni accurate with the customs declaration? Any hassle with delivery when the order value is under the threshold and can be proven with invoice?

Advertisement