Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe electric qeary on new build

Options
  • 21-10-2018 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello
    This post is geared towards rec s out there and hopefully you can throw a fellow trades man a helping hand and answer my question
    My new build is not fully wired due to the fact the registered contractor is failing to return ,even with the house 85% complete he reckons he hasnt time to complete ,its not on but **** happens so i have gone down the route of a change of contractor
    Now this new rec has spoken with the safe electric inspector who states he will not allow him to finish my installation ,even do i am quite open to any new test being performed and addition fees to be handed out to safe electric and abide by any conditions

my question
    How can a inspector stop my new house from being finished ,when its quite evident that the previous contractor has no interest in completing the works and he has given full consent to the new sparky to complete the
    the inspector seems to be on a power trip of some sort
    Anything i can do to remedy this disaster. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

From you post it would seem that the inspector is being very unreasonable however we are only hearing one side of the story.

If all else fails you could contact the CRU, see link:
    https://www.cru.ie/professional/safety/rgii-and-safe-electric-2/

As you can see from this extract they can deal with complaints about inspectors:
    Review of appeals from complainants regarding complaint handling by Safe Electric.

I would suggest that you only go down this route if you have no other option. Also insist on RECI stating their position in writing first.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Why would you tell safe electric your changing contractor ? If the new contractor is happy enough to finish someone else’s work and certify it then why do safe electric even need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chazz2014

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Why would you tell safe electric your changing contractor ? If the new contractor is happy enough to finish someone else’s work and certify it then why do safe electric even need to know

The new registered electrician has insisted that everything is done transparently which is fine but having approached the inspector his words were i dont want you inside that site to complete any works,even when the original contractor has agreed in principle to some one else taken over the works,bearing in mind theres only two days work x2 electricians ,
    Not sure how the politics within safe electric operate but im the scapegoat
    With a house with no juice .
    It seems that the cru will need to get involved if safe electric cant remedy this problem we know tomorow i guessðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Luckysasha wrote: »
    It is prohibited to certify someone else's installation without explicit permission from RECI. It is a serious disciplinary offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭thecribber

See page 12 of this link
    https://safeelectric.ie/contractors/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/09/2016may_news.pdf

I suspect that the inspector is correctly telling the new contractor not to start any work until the change of contractor procedure has been applied for and he has received permission in writing to take over the installation.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    From you post it would seem that the inspector is being very unreasonable however we are only hearing one side of the story.
    !

I Don't agree with the above statement, the inspector is only applying the rules which are made by the CRU in the first place. Safe Electric don't make the rules, they simply apply the CRU Criteria as set out in the Criteria Document. See page 150 here
    https://safeelectric.ie/contractors/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/03/Electrical-Safety-Supervisory-Criteria-Document-Version-3.0.pdf

There is little point complaining to the CRU when it's their rule thats been applied.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

thecribber wrote: »
    I Don't agree with the above statement, the inspector is only applying the rules which are made by the CRU in the first place. Safe Electric don't make the rules, they simply apply the CRU Criteria as set out in the Criteria Document. See page 150 here
    https://safeelectric.ie/contractors/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/03/Electrical-Safety-Supervisory-Criteria-Document-Version-3.0.pdf

Obviously that will not apply when this happens:
    its quite evident that the previous contractor has no interest in completing the works and he has given full consent to the new sparky to complete
    ^^^As stated word for word in the opening post.
    There is little point complaining to the CRU when it's their rule thats been applied.

Except when as I said:
    you have no other option

2011 wrote: »
    Obviously that will not apply when this happens:

^^^As stated word for word in the opening post.

Except when as I said:

I don't see anything "obvious" regarding the change of contractor procedure not applying when the Origional contractor has no objection. Maybe you could clarify why you consider this proposed change of electrician an exception to the requirements clearly laid down by the CRU, ?

I don't see anything "obvious" regarding the change of contractor procedure not applying when the Origional contractor has no objection.

Let's assume that you are correct.

That means that the OP can never get an electrical supply connected to his / her new build.
    Why? Because the original contractor won't finish the wiring and the inspector will not allow anyone else to.

Does this seem reasonable to you?

As stated in my first post on this thread "I suspect the inspector has told the new electrican not to carry out any works Until the change of contractor process has been followed. It is my opinion that the inspector has not said the work can never be finished by anyone.

It is inconceivable to believe that an inspector would expect an installation to never be finished because the house owner wants to change his contractor. The OP should ask the inspector to outline in writing what his position is on the contractor change.
    I have no doubt that it will be clarified that the new electrician will be given the go ahead to commence work After the change of contractor procedure has been followed. If you have read the procedure on page 150 of the critiera document you will see that the Origional contractor will be contacted and will have the chance to tell Safe Electric he has no problem with another contractor finishing the work.

• Advertisement

As stated in my first post on this thread "I suspect the inspector has told the new electrican not to carry out any works Until the change of contractor process has been followed. It is my opinion that the inspector has not said the work can never be finished by anyone.

Not according to the OP.
    The OP claims:
    Now this new rec has spoken with the safe electric inspector who states he will not allow him to finish my installation ,even do i am quite open to any new test being performed and addition fees to be handed out to safe electric and abide by any conditions
    It is inconceivable to believe that an inspector would expect an installation to never be finished because the house owner wants to change his contractor.

I agree that this sounds odd that is why I said that the op should:
    1) Get RECI to state their position in writing.
    2) only contact the CRU when there is no other option.
    3) I also said that we were only getting one side of the story, in other words there could be more to this.

The OP should ask the inspector to outline in writing what his position is on the contractor change.

I already said this.
    So why do you propose if that were to fail???
    I have no doubt that it will be clarified

Agreed.
    Once RECI state their position in writing as I suggested, I would think so too.
    But suppose that fails, what next???

As I consistently said only contact CRU if there is no other option. That means all other routes to resolve this have been exhausted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Honestly , I think you should get back into your original contractor and persuade him to finish, assuming there's been no issues with payment then I think it's a bit unreasonable for to leave the job with on four days work left on it .

chazz2014 wrote: »
    Hello
    This post is geared towards rec s out there and hopefully you can throw a fellow trades man a helping hand and answer my question
    My new build is not fully wired due to the fact the registered contractor is failing to return ,even with the house 85% complete he reckons he hasnt time to complete ,its not on but **** happens so i have gone down the route of a change of contractor
    Now this new rec has spoken with the safe electric inspector who states he will not allow him to finish my installation ,even do i am quite open to any new test being performed and addition fees to be handed out to safe electrics

Original Poster. Any update on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chazz2014

At last between old contractors and new and safe electric its a right merry little dance but thankfully we have arranged a full change of contractor ,as soon as permission has been received by new sparky we are good to go.
    Its a pity the original chap didnt stay the coarse but thats down to my own stupidity i paid him 75 % of agreed sum i should of paid 33% and the balance when the juice was turned on but any way lifes a steep learning curve
    But at least were back on track .
    Lesson learned .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Its a pity the original chap didnt stay the coarse but thats down to my own stupidity i paid him 75 % of agreed sum i should of paid 33% and the balance when the juice was turned on but any way lifes a steep learning curve

In fairness, having been stung a few times there's absolutely no way that you would be having the installation energised if I had only received a third of the money owed at that point.

my question
    How can a inspector stop my new house from being finished ,when its quite evident that the previous contractor has no interest in completing the works and he has given full consent to the new sparky to complete the
    the inspector seems to be on a power trip of some sort
    Anything i can do to remedy this disaster. Thanks

Great Result, As I suspected the Safe electric Inspector has no issue with your new contractor as long as the correct procedure has been followed,

I have noticed that some posters in this forum are very quick to assume that Safe Electric as an organisation are acting unreasonably. I have noticed ( a good example is this thread ) that it's normaly the case that Safe Electric are following procedures laid down by the CRU in the criteria document.

The electrical industry is hugely complicated with many levels of rules and regulations. Every day there is bound to be issues which arise which have no clear or easy solution. In my experience Safe Electric do the best they can in sometimes very tricky issues to attempt to ensure that the consumer gets a safe electrical installation and the Registered Contractor get treated fairly. This clearly will sometimes be very tricky and the solution will not normaly be to lodge a complaint with the CRU.

Great Result, As I suspected the Safe electric Inspector has no issue with your new contractor

Well there you have it.
    Safe Electric, a great bunch of lads!
    Every day there is bound to be issues which arise which have no clear or easy solution.

Not in this example. The solution was very obvious.
    the solution will not normaly be to lodge a complaint with the CRU.

Exactly, that is why I advised the OP accordingly.
    Let's not pretend otherwise.

Mission accomplished and everyone in agreement.

I think this thread has now run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement