Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James gannon( A COMPANY) na fianna eireann 2nd & 1st battalion dublin brigade 1916-19

Options
  • 21-10-2018 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am looking for information regarding fianna eireann my grandfather James gannon was a member of na fianna eireann A company dublin brigade , I am hopin to trace a picture of A company, or information of others that where in the same company, I have checked the bmh statements and got very little , my next move is to check the eamon Martin collection, but I am hopin that someone in the dublin area may have information on there grandfathers that took part in the irish struggle for independence, I've my grandfather old IRA records, and his cert from fianna, also have his war for independence medal, I know his OC was sean heauston and also garry holahan, they drilled in skippers alley just at the back of merchant quay church , so if there anyone that hold any information on A company or a picture , please let me know , Diarmuid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

You could try Damien Lalor's book, Na Fianna Éireann and the Irish Revolution 1909 to 1923 (Available here).

This website is very informative and if stuck it would probably be no harm to contact the owner. It also has loads of photos of Na Fianna Éireann right here (page is very slow to load). Lastly, I came across this record and I surmise it's the same James:
    Jun 20, 1917 (IT) Magistrate and Police

...Patrick Bourke, 12 Richmond Place and Joseph Treacy, 44 Dorris street, both tinsmiths, and James Gannon, 2 Henry street, were charged with having feloniously broken and entered the building known as the General Post Office; with having feloniously set fire to the building by lighting timber in it...a crowd of three or four thousand had assembled outside the ruins of the G.P.O...They were enthusiastic about the release of the prisoners; they put up a flag and lit a bonfire...He discharged them with the remark that the police had done their best to creat a riot, but fortunately had not succeded. (Source)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Diarmuid16

No that a different james gannon my grandfather was born 1901 that james gannon was born 1899 my grandfather lived in murphys cottages saint Mary's place off Dorset Street,

Advertisement