Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macro Lens Recommendation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

the 35 mm isnt a macro lens
    have a look at tokina 100 mm or simular
    i have the tokina 100mm ad its a great lens super sharp and also a lovely lens for portraits

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

If you can afford to splash a bit more cash then she will love you for this. You can shop around to see if you can get it cheaper. If you decide to buy ensure you get the Nikon mount version. The one you quoted on currys site is not a true macro lens.

https://www.connscameras.ie/p/sigma-105mm-f28-ex-dg-os-hsm-macro/p-085126258542

• Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks much appreciated!

Would this Tokina be similar to the Sigma in the link above? The specs are mumbo jumbo to me

Tokina
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tokina-100mm-Macro-AT-X-100AF/dp/B000CMNL52

Sigma
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-105mm-Macro-Nikon-Camera/dp/B0058NYW3K

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

The Sigma lens quoted has Image Stabilization which is of great benefit in lower light where a longer shutter speed is required. Well worth the extra few bucks in my opinion.

Excellent, will shop around for that one so, actually might be worth waiting for black Friday sale maybe.

Will keep the sigma bookmarked. Thanks again guys, this has been a huge help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I have the sigma you linked to..I find it fantastic for macro work. Macro takes a bit of practice but once she gets used to it the sigma lens takes fantastic photos.
    I use it for portrait work as well.
    I shoot with canon and could not afford the canon 100mm L lens at the time. But the sigma was a very decent alternative. I have read good reports on the Tokina lens.. check out some video reviews on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I shoot Nikon and most of my lenses (including a 60mm and 105mm macro lenses) are Nikon. But the best value for money (and in most reviews the best lens) is the Tamron 90mm SP VC USD macro lens.

Superb quality and cheaper than Nikon. Don't go anything less than 90mm (i.e. 60, 35 etc). You will be too close to the subject and will block your own light!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I used the Sigma 105 when I had Nikon gear and its a fantastic lens once you get used to it.

Thanks very much guys, really appreciate the feedback. Gonna order the Sigma 105 (currently £360 on Amazon) The Tamron is a bit too pricey for me so the Sigma wins this one.

Advertisement