Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for beginner DSLR camera

Options
  • 20-10-2018 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm 14 and currently have a Nikon Coolpix L340 and am looking to upgrade to a DSLR. For close ups of nature and scenery and product images. I have a budget of €500. Is the budget reasonable? What camera would you recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah I think that budget should be enough to get you going. If you're set on buying new, that should get you a relatively entry level DSLR with kit lens. There's quite a few options here, Nikon/Canon and others. Really all will do what you need.

You mention quite a range of interests in terms of what you want to shoot. Ideally you would need quite a bit of gear to do these, but a kit lens should offer enough range to get you started.

Close ups would be best suited to a macro lens, maybe an 85mm or similar.

Scenery would be well suited to your kit lens, or something wider angel such as a 10-22mm lens. But again, a typical 18mm-55mm kit lens will be more than adequate.

And product images would likely need flash equipement and maybe a light box.

As for cameras, a Canon 200D can be had with its kit for in and around 500. It's the most compact DSLR you can get. Which may or may not be a plus for you. It just keeps things light and portable for carrying with you a lot. Going second hand would see a lot of value too, it could be possible to get a camera a couple of generations old with another lens which could be a very good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Canon sell refurbs often saving about 30%, can bump your budget from the entry line (1300D) to slightly more competent line (700D etc).

Product shots require a bit of setup and peripherals. Better to pay somebody than do it poorly long term as pictures can make a huge difference to sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

hi. Tanks for the replys. Would a Canon EOS 4000D DSLR Camera and EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 III Lens, Black + Canon EF 50 mm 1.8 STM Lens be any good? for €409?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Or maybe a Nikon D3300 DSLR Camera.
    Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

jamesbil wrote: »
    Or maybe a Nikon D3300 DSLR Camera.
    Any thoughts?

I am in a similar situation and have looked at Canon and Nikon as my first dslr. I have been looking at reviews all around between canon and Nikon. And i think the nikon d3400 looks like a great camera to get.

There seems to be an improvement to the battery on this model compared to the d3300 and the reviewer even recommends the d3400 over the new nikon d3500 released this year.

It will be within your budget of €500 and I'm hoping there many some deals tomorrow on this camera.

Also the guy in the video has loads of videos on how to get the best out of your dslr.

https://youtu.be/cORINOaLSTk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Advertisement