Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Upgrade home charger

Options
  • 20-10-2018 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

I collected my Renault Zoe on Friday and the 40kw battery combined with the relative inefficiency of Zoe charging at 16amp as led me to the conclusion that I'd like to upgrade to a faster (32 amp) home charger at some stage.

I'm still using the same charger that I received for free in 2015,the standard ecars ABL model (not sure of the exact model number).Does anyone know if it's possible to get these running at 32 amp or would it be better to swap it out for a new charger?Either way I'd need to get the cabling etc looked at.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Does anyone know if it's possible to get these running at 32 amp or would it be better to swap it out for a new charger?Either way I'd need to get the cabling etc looked at.

Yep. I did it myself with the free ESB install. And a sparks friend switched the RCBO for a 40A one I bought. I did make sure though that the original install used 6mm2 cable

Yours is probably only 4mm2 cable, so you need to change that and the RCBO. You need to do that anyway if you are going to buy a 32A charger

The upgrade of the ABL unit is pretty easy. All you need is a laptop and a €5 USB to serial interface. There are threads in here with all the details of how to do it (can't really remember the details myself at this stage)

So all the upgrade from the free install cost me was €20 to provide my own 6mm2 cable for the original install + €5 interface + €35 RCBO + good bottle of wine for my friend :D

Advertisement