Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builders damaged car while in driveway - need advice

Options
  • 20-10-2018 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for advice on how to proceed after significant damage to my new car by a building company doing work on the house next door. Basically while the builders were setting up scaffolding next door, a couple of metal pipes fell off and smashed my back windscreen and left a couple of big dents on the side panels (see pictures).

I live in London and unfortunately I'm out of the country at the moment but I called the director of the building company who admitted liability and assured that all damage will be paid for etc. Needless to say I'm absolutely fuming. As a starting point I've tried contacting my insurance company but their lines are closed until tomorrow so not sure what I can do in the meantime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm looking for advice on how to proceed after significant damage to my new car by a building company doing work on the house next door. Basically while the builders were setting up scaffolding next door, a couple of metal pipes fell off and smashed my back windscreen and left a couple of big dents on the side panels (see pictures).

I live in London and unfortunately I'm out of the country at the moment but I called the directory of the building company who admitted liability and assured that all damage will be paid for etc. Needless to say I'm absolutely fuming. As a starting point I've tried contacting my insurance company but their lines are closed until tomorrow so not sure what I can do in the meantime.

Get a quote done off any garage you choose.

Send it to the building company as they most likely will pass on to their insurance.

Look these mistakes happen they didn't set out to screw you over.

Report to your insurance but see what was the company will work on costs 1st. Rental car etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

2 options ;

1. Proceed as advised by punisher 5122 or

2. Report to own insurers who can pay for it and then recover from builders.

Initially, I would prefer option 1 as that would keep it simpler if you can recover your losses from the builders / their public liability insurers.

Look on the bright side - there was nobody in the car, especially a child strapped in to a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Get a quote done off any garage you choose.

Send it to the building company as they most likely will pass on to their insurance.

Look these mistakes happen they didn't set out to screw you over.

Report to your insurance but see what was the company will work on costs 1st. Rental car etc.

on the “mistakes happen” point I would completely disagree seeing how close that scaffold is to the public highway. It’s in the U.K. and would be a significant issue for the HSE which deals with safety matters on worksites.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Marcusm wrote: »
    on the “mistakes happen” point I would completely disagree seeing how close that scaffold is to the public highway. It’s in the U.K. and would be a significant issue for the HSE which deals with safety matters on worksites.

Public highway?

They said next door.

I could have someone working next door and an accident could happen or a mistake on their part...

They didn't set out to do this on purpose well I hope not....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Dante

Cheers for the replies, I've taken punisher5112's advice and sorted it directly with the builders rather than through my insurance.

I've just received a quite hefty quote for repairs from the BMW centre of >6k so lets see how that goes down.
    That is a different matter, the council has already been called over the state of the scaffolding setup and even my neighbour who is getting the work done is refusing to pay for the job. Things are about to get messy I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Cheers for the replies, I've taken punisher5112's advice and sorted it directly with the builders rather than through my insurance.

Don't get in to any discussion over your estimate or agree to let them find an alternative elsewhere. Any delay, go straight to their Public Liability insurers. It is likely that your neighbour sought confirmation of their insurance details as part of the job he is getting done by them, so he should be able to help if there is an resistance

Public highway?

They said next door.

I could have someone working next door and an accident could happen or a mistake on their part...

They didn't set out to do this on purpose well I hope not....

Did you look at the photo before you replied?

I've just received a quite hefty quote for repairs from the BMW centre of >6k so lets see how that goes down.

That is a different matter, the council has already been called over the state of the scaffolding setup and even my neighbour who is getting the work done is refusing to pay for the job. Things are about to get messy I suspect.

I think you are mad to do this, especially in the U.K. liability has to be clear as it was a fallen scaffold pole. Your insurer’s claims dept exist for the purpose of ensuring that this is sorted out without hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

+1
    give all details to your insurance company and then sit back and do nothing.

The alternative is you being right in the middle of it and possible getting into heated arguments and having to sort out admin on a load of crap that has nothing to do with you.
    You are already put out by this accident, dont let yourself get put out even more by having to spend time hounding people, its your insurance companies job, its one of the reasons why you pay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Can see why people been on about the scaffold.

Unless it's very well tied in (and it may be as I can just see some beams) I wouldn't trust it.

Seems a severe lack of bracing at ground level. Long ways and side ways.
    Those diagonals just sat into bricks?

Maybe it's fine. Just a couple lifts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,896 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Why on earth would he go to his own insurance company?
    Builders will pay it they won't. They may be insured themselves.

Going to your own insurance company will only mean there is now a clam on your record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

I think you are mad to do this, especially in the U.K. liability has to be clear as it was a fallen scaffold pole. Your insurer’s claims dept exist for the purpose of ensuring that this is sorted out without hassle.

Exactly, notify your insurance that you want to make a claim against the Builders who have already admitted liability. If the work on your neighbours property is substandard and he's refusing to pay these builders could be cowboys.

OP, let your insurance deal with the hassle. If they want to settle with you outside of insurance then you should still notify your insurerer that your making a claim and then you can notitfy them afterwords when it's settled.

Until you've received the money or the damage has been paid for I'd be keeping your insurance company involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Your insurance company will not pursue the builder or their insurers on your behalf unless you first put a claim through on your policy for the repairs. It remains as a claim under your policy until such time as they recover their outlay from the other party

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Seve OB wrote: »

Going to your own insurance company will only mean there is now a clam on your record.
    And you lose your No Claims Bonus if you go to your own insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Dante

Seve OB wrote: »

And you lose your No Claims Bonus if you go to your own insurance company.
    Unfortunately I ended up having to go through my insurance as it has been a bit of a nightmare dealing with the web of sub-contracting companies associated with the builders.

I confirmed beforehand with my insurance company that my NCB would not be affected provided they retrieve the money back from the builder's insurance company. Maybe a bit naive on my part but at this point I think it will be the quicker and easier option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Surely the main contractor who is overseeing the building project would be responsible and be the party whose insurance you would claim from.

If they had subcontracted the scaffolding it would then be the main contractor's (or their insurance company) to in turn claim from the scaffolding subcontractor (or their insurance company) but this should not concern you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Unfortunately I ended up having to go through my insurance as it has been a bit of a nightmare dealing with the web of sub-contracting companies associated with the builders.

I confirmed beforehand with my insurance company that my NCB would not be affected provided they retrieve the money back from the builder's insurance company. Maybe a bit naive on my part but at this point I think it will be the quicker and easier option.
    It could impact your ability to shop around for competitive quotes at next renewal. It is a "no claims bonus", not a "no blame bonus".

Advertisement