Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return ticket from Dublin - Sligo next weekend available

Options
  • 20-10-2018 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭

Idiotically, I accidentally bought a return ticket from Connolly to Sligo next weekend, as opposed to other way around.

Tickets are "Low Fare" so non-refundable, so have bought a replacement.

But willing to give the Connolly to Sligo return ticket for free, and can be collected at Connolly.

Departs: 3pm on Friday
    Returns: 1pm on Sunday

Please only PM if you'll actually use it though.. Sligo Live is on so a good chance someone will use it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Basq wrote: »
    Idiotically, I accidentally bought a return ticket from Connolly to Sligo next weekend, as opposed to other way around.

Tickets are "Low Fare" so non-refundable, so have bought a replacement.

But willing to give the Connolly to Sligo return ticket for free, and can be collected at Connolly.

Departs: 3pm on Friday
    Returns: 1pm on Sunday

Please only PM if you'll actually use it though.. Sligo Live is on so a good chance someone will use it.

Call them Monday, they may give you a refund given the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Thanks, I sent them a message via their webform but they indicate in their FAQ's that..
    If you purchase a low or Semi Flexible ticket for the wrong date we will only cancel it for you for free if you advise us within 30 minutes* of the booking being purchased and provide proof of a new booking** being made for the same journey but for a different date(s).
    .. so it's probably unlikely! :(

Thanks, I sent them a message via their webform but they indicate in their FAQ's that..

.. so it's probably unlikely! :(

Well you sent the message within 30m you will be fine, they can match booking time and message time. I would still give them a call Monday and see.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Well you sent the message within 30m you will be fine, they can match booking time and message time. I would still give them a call Monday and see.
    Unfortunately I booked the original ticket last Tuesday and the replacement this morning. So probably not.

Worth a shot and live and learn if not.. kicking myself but I'm blaming the mistake on a long day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jem72

Was there a difference in price for the low fare ticket? I normally book a same-day return from Edgeworthstown or Longford to Dublin a couple of times a month. I rarely even see a "Low-Fare" option, but usually there are Flexible and Semi-Flexible for the exact same price.

I'd assumed that Low was missing because I was only booking a day or two in advance but I just looked there and if I book for a couple of weeks in advance I get offered all three options for the exact same price. Seems quite odd but I guess there is no real need to discount tickets on the Sligo line since most trains are generally packed.

I've never seen any incentive for advance booking for my journey - every one way fare from Edgeworthstown is €12.29 whether it's for the same day or two months out. In fact two one-way fares are almost exactly the same price as a day-return from the ticket office so the only reason for booking is to avoid the inconvenience of queuing.

• Advertisement

Jem72 wrote: »
    Was there a difference in price for the low fare ticket? I normally book a same-day return from Edgeworthstown or Longford to Dublin a couple of times a month. I rarely even see a "Low-Fare" option, but usually there are Flexible and Semi-Flexible for the exact same price.
    It tends to a euro more for Semi-Flexible, and then a further euro for Flexible.

So a one-way ticket from Sligo-Connolly and vice-versa seems to be:

Low Fare: €17.99
    Semi-Flexible Fare: €18.99
    Flexible Fare: €19.99

Sometimes, at busier times, Low Fare is often sold out also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Call them Monday, they may give you a refund given the situation.

No they won't.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    You don't get a refund once the ticket is printed plus they know if the reservations was working or not. I've no idea where you got your percentage from but its well off on the sligo route.

They don't have a clue if its working half the time. That's my personal % over the last 3-4 weeks and the worst thing is the system was working but they really need to sort out when you switch ends of the train because whatever GPS system they use it gets confused and resets them. A simple Heuston Station announcement after the reservations are displayed wipes them.

From an IT prospective on board it shouldn't be complicated to resolve it but there is a human element and probally down to different training when they were introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

They don't have a clue if its working half the time. That's my personal % over the last 3-4 weeks and the worst thing is the system was working but they really need to sort out when you switch ends of the train because whatever GPS system they use it gets confused and resets them. A simple Heuston Station announcement after the reservations are displayed wipes them.

From an IT prospective on board it shouldn't be complicated to resolve it but there is a human element and probally down to different training when they were introduced.

Your personal percentage? 😀. I'm sure there is a long thread on here somewhere that has already explained it to you.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Your personal percentage? ��. I'm sure there is a long thread on here somewhere that has already explained it to you.

Yes after a good spell its gone bad again.

Well if the company prehaps explained to employees where they are going wrong and addressed other issues which are down to software everybody would be happy.

Gets annoying hearing this all the time:
    I would like to apologie on behalf of Iarnród Eireann for the difficulties you experienced in relation to the Seat Reservation System (SRS) on your recent journey. We are constantly working to ensure this system is operating correctly, as we know the frustration passengers face if the reservation system is not switched on for both passengers that have and have not made a booking and the issues which arise. While the performance of the system has improved, we are addressing technical issues and ensuring all colleagues operate the system correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

For clarity: Posts deleted for a number of reasons including inter-thread bickering, backseat moderation and one or two deleted at least until questions are answered via PM.

Just to follow-up here.. got a refund as a "gesture of goodwill" as it was a "genuine customer error" - fair play IrishRail!

Just to follow-up here.. got a refund as a "gesture of goodwill" as it was a "genuine customer error" - fair play IrishRail!

As I suspected they clearly saw you had a second ticket booked and it wasn't a case of you deciding not to travel.

Advertisement