Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from 'named driver' to own policy

Options
  • 20-10-2018 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭

19 yr old son is insured on my husband's car (Insurance Company 'X'). Son is still in 1st year of N plates.

My insurance (Insurance Company Y) is due for renewal next month and when looking for quotes, I got an extremely good quote (from Insurance Company Z) for adding him to my car - I have often used this insurance company over 30+ yrs driving and had no problem but their premiums weren't the lowest so left them two years ago ...

To be honest, he doesn't need to be insured on both cars as he only uses car to drive to sports training, and occasionally socially (and for collecting his parents now and again!). But is there any point in insuring him on two different policies in order to help him when he moves on from being a named driver to having a policy in his own name (probably in 4 or so years time)? Will two records - of being a named driver with two different insurance companies - be of any help to him in the future when trying to get his own insurance? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You only benefit from the number of continuous years driving, so it doesn't matter if it is on 2,3 or 4 different policies. Remember, a named driver can only drive the vehicle he/she is specifically insured under

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thanks Eggs for Dinner. That has answered my query. Yes, he only drives my husband's car at the moment as that is the policy on which he is named.

Advertisement