Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find an artist?

Options
  • 19-10-2018 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi

I bought this painting, it was painted by Pat O'Neill

I can't find out anything about the artist at all .... where would I start??

oAuo4UKl.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Is that a "fake", or is it taken from a real fossilised skeleton? (Sorry, I can't see the details very clearly). I'm asking because I've just come across a Pat O'Neill in relation to some fossils found in Carlow, while I was looking up his name for you.

I'd start by asking more information from whomever you bought it from. If they don't know, maybe ask them if they'd be willing to tell you where they got it from, whether from a gallery or not. Also, what's on the back of the artwork? Are there any marks or stamps or labels at the back? You may have to remove the frame, if there's a protection at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Viriconia

New Home wrote: »
    Is that a "fake", or is it taken from a real fossilised skeleton? (Sorry, I can't see the details very clearly, so I don't know if it's ). I'm asking because I've just come across a Pat O'Neill in relation to some fossils found in Carlow, while I was looking up his name for you.

I'd start by asking more information from whomever you bought it from. If they don't know, maybe ask them if they'd be willing to tell you where they got it from, whether from a gallery or not. Also, what's on the back of the artwork? Are there any marks or stamps or labels at the back? You may have to remove the frame, if there's a protection at the back.

Thanks for the reply

Its an actual painting, its supposed to be an original but I can't feel any paint texture on the canvas.
    There's no identifying info on the back at all that I can see, back of the canvas is visible but nothing at all.

I bought it from a liquidation shop, they were low on details!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Surely they should have a record somewhere of where they got it from, at least! Now, whether they're willing to disclose it, it's a whole other kettle of fish.
    At least having a geographical area would be a start. Of course, we mustn't forget that "Pat" could very well be "Patricia".

Advertisement