Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlewellan advice

Options
  • 19-10-2018 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I have to head up to Newcastle (Co Down) for the MIL's birthday weekend festivities in a few weeks and I plan, as I usually do in these scenarios, to get a few hours away from the in-laws by going biking.

Obviously I won't be too far from the trails at Castlewellan so I figure I'll give them a go.

The website shows green, blue, red and black trails. Green looks like a path round a lake so I can rule that out, blue looks a bit more off road, red looks more singletrack and I won't be going near the black.

I'm looking for a bit of advice for people who may have ridden them as to which one I should consider tackling.

If it helps, my fitness level is such that I can just about get round the trails at Ballinastoe with some stops to recover and will be bringing the full sus bike with me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Red are you normal single track trails. Green and blue are family friendly.

No major hills down there to get over.

Think it's £5 entrance into the car park. Or park anywhere in the village and cycle into the grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Would say that Kilbroney at Rostrevor is a better trail centre. Little further away but definitely worth the 25 mins drive or whatever it is.
    1 big hill to get up at the start then the red trail is really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Would say that Kilbroney at Rostrevor is a better trail centre. Little further away but definitely worth the 25 mins drive or whatever it is.
    1 big hill to get up at the start then the red trail is really good.

I'm not a fan of the red loop there as I rate the fun v slog ratio to be way off. It's 6kms or so uphill (steep in parts) from the car park to kodak corner so it's not for someone who might not be the fittest.

I'd suggest sticking with Castlewellan as the trails will be shorter and you can try a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

DoraDelite wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the red loop there as I rate the fun v slog ratio to be way off. It's 6kms or so uphill (steep in parts) from the car park to kodak corner so it's not for someone who might not be the fittest.

I'd suggest sticking with Castlewellan as the trails will be shorter and you can try a few of them.

+1 on this

Try out the trails at Castlewellan, next time I’m over that side I’ll be heading for Ravensdale or Bigwood rather than Rostrevor, but they’re a bit further down the road from Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Tollymore is worth a look too but trails aren't marked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭prunudo

Glad I'm not the only one who was underwhelmed by the red loop, a friend was singing its praises so I went with him next time, definitely not worth the slog for not much fun, expected more for a red trail to be honest. Even once you get to kodak corner there's some more climbing and I just didn't find there was a nice flow to the trail. Probably only got good after the furthest hairpin and you were heading back towards to trail centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 burrows

Thanks to everyone for the info.

I took a look at Rostrevor, but I have to be realistic and my fitness would not be up to that climb so I'll give the red at Castlewellan a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LagunaSeca

If you're not into the Rostrevor climb take the shuttle van up with the downhillers. Can get off at the upper car park which cuts out about half the climb or continue on to the orange trailhead and the driver will point you to a shortcut to the summit (estimate about 1.5km).

Climb or no climb I'd rate Rostrevor above Castlewellan. Although Castlewellan is very good if you're with kids or novices. I'd also rate Castlewellan over any time with in-laws so you're onto a winner wherever you go! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 burrows

Yep it is the latter I am going for. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

jvan wrote: »
    Glad I'm not the only one who was underwhelmed by the red loop, a friend was singing its praises so I went with him next time, definitely not worth the slog for not much fun, expected more for a red trail to be honest. Even once you get to kodak corner there's some more climbing and I just didn't find there was a nice flow to the trail. Probably only got good after the furthest hairpin and you were heading back towards to trail centre.

That's it in a nutshell for me! I've done it a three or four of times now and it lacks the flow that puts the smile on your face. That said I would still consider it in the winter when everywhere else is a swamp for a good fitness spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

That's it in a nutshell for me! I've done it a three or four of times now and it lacks the flow that puts the smile on your face. That said I would still consider it in the winter when everywhere else is a swamp for a good fitness spin.

Agreed, I heard people raving about it and gave it a go. Wasn't loving it either. Some nice sections but too much meh inbetween.

I think if you have someone with you who knows some of the sections off the red then you are in for a good time - I was recommended to go find magic carpet but didn't bother to try find :(

Advertisement