Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop every photograph syncing to phone

Options
  • 19-10-2018 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭

I've just got a new phone, and want to try to stop it clogging up with every photograph and video that I send or receive by the likes of WhatsApp.

I would like it to only store photos that I actually take.

Can anyone tell me how to stop it syncing every single image and video that is sent to me to the Gallery app?

I've searched all the settings I can find with no joy.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Jacovs

For whatsapp you go into settings, data and storage usage and then there are 3 settings under media auto download you can untick all the boxes.
    Only the images and videos you choose to download will then be saved to gallery.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,906 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The settings are in the individual apps not the phone. AFAIK they usually back up to the cloud, Google Photos, not the gallery of your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jacovs wrote: »
    For whatsapp you go into settings, data and storage usage and then there are 3 settings under media auto download you can untick all the boxes.
    Only the images and videos you choose to download will then be saved to gallery.

This is only half the battle. I have all of those set to only autodownload on wifi - but every time I click on a photo/video it automatically goes into the Gallery under "pictures" and clogs up the storage capacity. Naturally I'm going to click on them all, but I don't want them stored for ever!

Del2005 wrote: »
    The settings are in the individual apps not the phone. AFAIK they usually back up to the cloud, Google Photos, not the gallery of your phone.

They're all going to the Gallery app on my phone, under the "Pictures" tab. Every stupid thing that was ever sent to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,906 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    This is only half the battle. I have all of those set to only autodownload on wifi - but every time I click on a photo/video it automatically goes into the Gallery under "pictures" and clogs up the storage capacity. Naturally I'm going to click on them all, but I don't want them stored for ever!

They're all going to the Gallery app on my phone, under the "Pictures" tab. Every stupid thing that was ever sent to me.

On WhatsApp in settings go to Chats and untick "Show media in gallery", there should be similar in the other Apps.

Edit... Have you got Google Photos installed? My WhatsApp has show media in Gallery selected but everything is backed up to the cloud, nothing from WhatsApp or other Apps on my phone.

On WhatsApp in settings go to Chats and untick "Show media in gallery", there should be similar in the other Apps.

Edit... Have you got Google Photos installed? My WhatsApp has show media in Gallery selected but everything is backed up to the cloud, nothing from WhatsApp or other Apps on my phone.

Bingo! That sounds like what I was looking for. Thanks :)

• Advertisement

I do have Google Photos, but every single thing was in the Gallery app as well, and it took hours to transfer it all to the new phone yesterday there was so much rubbish there. Hence trying to prevent it going in there in the first place.

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement