Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just sold our Leaf Tekna. Thinking of buying a Leaf Tekna!

Options
  • 18-10-2018 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

Regulars on here will know that we just sold our 152 Leaf Tekna and replaced it with an Ampera. Of late my wife does trips a few times a month to Co Waterford which would have been painful in the Leaf, so she always used my car, a 2004 Civic IMA (aka "the banger"). These trips weren't necessary back when she bought the Leaf, so didn't factor into any decisions.

An identical Leaf Tekna, albeit 2014, with 2k less miles on the clock than the one we just sold, has just come on the market for around €3k less than we sold her 152 for. It's a reputable seller, so I've no doubt the car is clean. All 12 bars, etc.

Tough decision time. Should I keep the 2004 Civic IMA, which is probably worth about a grand and costs €900 a year in fuel and €400 in motor tax, or should I splash out just around €9.5k for the Leaf which costs €100 a year in fuel and €120 in tax? 95% of my journeys are within the GDA. The odd journey down the country is either to Leitrim (plenty of charging options on the N4) or Tullamore (Kilbeggan FCP).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

Put simply it's spend 8,500 now to save just over 1k per year...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,270 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The ROI on capital comes to its realisable number when it pitches around 10%. So on that figure of Simona it washes its face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

Hm... If I get it correctly OP is about to become EV shortseller ;-)

I would go for it, I think it would be not only save you money on fuel but also improve quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Water John wrote: »
    The ROI on capital comes to its realisable number when it pitches around 10%. So on that figure of Simona it washes its face.

Could we have that in English please? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,231 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I was a bit surprised you kept the Civic and sold the Leaf. If the cashflow (of upgrading a car to a much more expensive one) wasn't the problem, why didn't you?

The convenience alone of being able to charge both cars at home, particularly with your low mileage, you could charge the cars on alternate nights and have plenty of range most of the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

unkel wrote: »
    I was a bit surprised you kept the Civic and sold the Leaf.

Simply put, the Leaf was my wife's car and she needs longer range.

Thinking about buying another Leaf now was more of a brain fart than anything else, now that I've slept on it. Our driveway is long and narrow, so the cars are parked end to end. I really need to move the CP, which is currently on the front of the house, to somewhere half way down the driveway before I start thinking about a second EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,231 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ampera is type 1, right, same as Leaf? Don't move your charger, just use a long tethered type 1 cable that can service both cars.

Advertisement