Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2009 Land rover discovery opinions

Options
  • 18-10-2018 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello folks, I looking to buy a 2008 to 2010 land rover discovery, I am hearing mixed messages about them, but its all hear say, I know a guy bla bla bla....I'm looking to hear peoples opinions on them, people who own them or can first hand verify them, are they costly to run and maintain, do they break down a lot, do they cause trouble on a regular basis.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

carbuyer85 wrote: »
    Hello folks, I looking to buy a 2008 to 2010 land rover discovery, I am hearing mixed messages about them, but its all hear say, I know a guy bla bla bla....I'm looking to hear peoples opinions on them, people who own them or can first hand verify them, are they costly to run and maintain, do they break down a lot, do they cause trouble on a regular basis.

Have a 2006 discovery and love it. Had since new and last year had to replace gear box and clutch at 300k Kms. Cost me 2.5k because of labour but car is running like a dream. At 2.7 liters is quite thirsty and cost about 100 euro for a return trip to cork.

It’s commercial so tax is cheap at 330. DOE was last week and failed for a LHR Bush. Replaced at 295 again mainly because labour and the fact that it takes a lot of time to do anything.

I love it. Nicest drive I’ve had. Feel so safe on the road and looks the dogs bollix. So to conclude, not economical for juice. If something goes wrong it’s expensive. A lot of run of the mill garages wo t be able to do anything but wouldn’t change for the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The discovery 4 came in in 2010 , id buy that over the disco 3. Much better car, especially if you can find it in the HSE spec which has a lot nicer options.

The TDV6 is pretty decent, it is a luxury 4x4 so the maintenance costs will reflect such. The air suspension is about 300 a corner to get fixed and the airbags last 75-100k miles on average. The air compressor is 600 to buy a refurb unit or you can buy a refurb kit yourself for 12 quid and takes a few hours to change out. Electrical reliability is pretty decent, rust isn't a huge issue bar the tailgate on them. Keep a sinking fund of 3000 euro and you'll easily not use it all in 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 carbuyer85

thanks guys, it seems like I will need deep pockets to run one, but I wasn't expecting it to be cheap either, glad for the positive reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I had a LR D3, by far the nicest car I have ever owned to drive. SO practical with kids/dog and doing a bit of off roading. I had a petrol engine and it was immense.

Downside as above, the air suspension went on ours (as well as other things but as an example) and it wasn't so that alone it was that Land Rover many visits to figure it out. First it was only the airbag at one corner, then another, then the compressor needs fixing, then it actually needs a new compressor. This went on for an age and the cost is huge.

I have a boring Land cruiser now that doesn't hold a candle to driving the LR but I don't spend my free time on LR forums trying to figure out what was wrong. Also I don't keep looking at the dash on long journeys wondering when a light is going to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

There's no way a Disco isn't pricey to run.

• Advertisement

coolbeans wrote: »
    There's no way a Disco isn't pricey to run.

Id say similar to the X5 or Q7 it competes with though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

In my view it depends on the spec. The main thing for us was the air suspension.

Jude13 wrote: »
    In my view it depends on the spec. The main thing for us was the air suspension.

Air suspension is pretty reliable but its so comfy , id never go back

• Registered Users Posts: 6 carbuyer85

The discoverys are just that much more to look at

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

Id say similar to the X5 or Q7 it competes with though.

I had the E53 X5 for 9 years, only problems were a broken door handle and replacement handbrake cog. Less than €300 to fix although I fixed the door myself.
    No NCT fails at all. Great car, huge tax, 3.0D Sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

My discovery passed itsDOE. Delighted. It was a retest and had to replace the left rear bush. Ba5tard thing cost me 295. But it’s done now for a year. Was a bit annoyed at the price but par for the course as it took a full days labour.

Advertisement