Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Level 5 NFQ-accredited Irish course recognised to be a Garda?

Options
  • 17-10-2018 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi, I'm asking for a friend since he really wants to be a guard because he's sick of security work.

He was exempt from Leaving Cert Irish so he didn't attain a Level 5 award from any accredited awarding body. In my research so far, the force recognise a Level 5 QQI-accredited proficiency in Irish. But when my friend called in to the office, the person said that apparently the Gardai only recognise Ordinary Level Leaving Cert Irish with Pass, not Irish learned from college courses. I want to ask clarification if that's the case? Would NFQ accredited Irish course be also valid? Results of my research so far is sparse and the language requirements to join the Gardai are rather vague.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 foam

I Corps wrote: »
    Hi, I'm asking for a friend since he really wants to be a guard as he's sick of security work. He was exempt from Leaving Cert Irish so he didn't attain a Level 5 award from any accredited awarding body. In my research so far, the force recognise a Level 5 QQI-accredited proficiency in Irish. But when my friend called in to the office, the person said that apparently the Gardai only recognise Ordinary Level Leaving Cert Irish with Pass, not Irish learned from college courses. I want to ask clarification if that's the case? Would NFQ accredited Irish course be also valid? Results of my research so far is sparse and the language requirements to join the Gardai are rather vague.

https://www.garda.ie/en/Careers/Why-should-I-join-An-Garda-Siochana-/What-are-the-educational-requirements-.html

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

I Corps wrote: »
    Hi, I'm asking for a friend since he really wants to be a guard as he's sick of security work. He was exempt from Leaving Cert Irish so he didn't attain a Level 5 award from any accredited awarding body. In my research so far, the force recognise a Level 5 QQI-accredited proficiency in Irish. But when my friend called in to the office, the person said that apparently the Gardai only recognise Ordinary Level Leaving Cert Irish with Pass, not Irish learned from college courses. I want to ask clarification if that's the case? Would NFQ accredited Irish course be also valid? Results of my research so far is sparse and the language requirements to join the Gardai are rather vague.

It doesn't have to be Irish it can be any second language at LC level. Does he have French, German or Spanish?

It gives you two options to prove your proficiency in the educational requirements material: a leaving cert or the public appointments exam in the case of Irish/English. But they do use the word may so it could be open to interpretation! Possibly...

I think the word proficiency is the key here. The leaving cert is a two year course that builds on the knowlege gained at Junior Cert level, so a 90 - 150 hour QQI Level 5 module in beginner Irish or whatever language is not going to be the same.

The way to check is to find the curriculum (probably on the State Examinations website or maybe Dept Ed or the Teaching Council). Find out what level on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages the reading, writing, oral and aural sections are pitched at in the learning outcomes/assessment critera and compare them to the levels in the learning outcomes on the Level 5 courses.

Honestly though if your friend doesn't have any second language it might just be easier for him to go back and sit Spanish leaving cert before the next campaign. If he knuckled down he could probably scrape a D/C at ordinary level by June.

Easier still, he could get intensive Irish grinds starting now and pass the PAS Irish examine when it comes around.

I heard you have to study Irish in Templemore. I don't know if that is still the case. So it may be easier in the long run to pass the PAS exam to prepare for Templemore?

Advertisement