Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sportinglife or Racing post online ?

Options
  • 17-10-2018 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

Just wondering what the majority of you use for your form and previous form etc.. ?

I've been using the sportinglife since way back starting out with the paper, then when that went I used the online version. I did notice since they did the 'upgrade' the sportinglife has gone really downhill.

Before the upgrade, at the bottom of the race card, it's used to show the previous winners of the race dating back 10 years or so depending, that was great for trends.

Also you could search for any horse and you would find it via the search, it would be great for sires/dam etc.. but now I find if I search for a horse it doesn't seem to have it in the database, it's shocking.

An example of the above is I tried to search for the horse called Noble Thyne, it beat Istabraq by a head back in 96'. I remember the day clearly. I backed Noble thyne that day, I was listening to it on the radio station KFM and both were together at the last and the station went dead, I couldn't believe it. Noble Thyne won that day but we all know what Istabraq went on to do!

These days I use most the sportinglife for results but find myself moving more towards the racing post.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

AtTheRaces is the best for everything, has the form, the handicap mark, how many runs/wins a horse has in that Class and more all in a nice layout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭irishgoat

The gripe that I have with ATR is it seems to be in your face type of thing, just so much info, which is great but just tons of stuff hit you right away. For me it's probably just change that I don't like but I typed Noble Thyne in the seach box and it come back nil like the sportinglife. I'm glad you mentioned ATR, I haven't navigated it in a long time, just having a browse of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Years ago, I used to love the Sporting life in print, especially Man on the Spot - but wasn't a fan of the size

After its demise it was onto the Racing Post and I used to buy it daily

Now I think the Racing Post in print is just too expensive for what it delivers - far far too many adverts

The Racing Paper for £1.90 for all the weekend racing offers far better value - not sure if available in Ireland

On line I used to like the PDF racecard you could do with Racing Post, but then they went to the subscription / members club, so now I flip between ATR,Racing UK and Irish racing and then Oddschecker for prices

I vaguely remember the man on the spot went through a whole card one time and picked every winner. The size was a bit crazy but great newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

I used use Sporting Life too . Since the change to it's website I've moved away. I find the Sky sports racing website as close to the original Sporting life one as I could get. Irish racing.com is decent too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

maximo31 wrote: »
    I used use Sporting Life too . Since the change to it's website I've moved away. I find the Sky sports racing website as close to the original Sporting life one as I could get. Irish racing.com is decent too.

I wonder if they will "upgrade" the web site when the channel launches?

They should have left the sportinglife website alone as it was fine. In the new era of moblie phones and HTML5 I take it they wanted to make it user friendly. Looks better on a mobile phone now but in terms of usability it's terrible. I think they actually done the change around a big meeting like Cheltheham or Aintree. I remember fuming at the time because of all the page timeouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

+1 for Sportinglife site having gone to sh!te, basically unusable nowadays, would wonder how much of that is intentional what with SkyBet owning them

+1 for AtTheRaces being the best for everything, going to be a real shame when they lose all the Irish racing and no longer have the replays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Racing Post is pretty much dying a death these days also. I was a subscriber for a good few years but i havent renewed since February this year. Mainly as i dont get as much time as i used to have for reading anything in it and that was the only reason i subscribed i like some of their journalists.

Now i tend to just read timeform not so much as i think they are the best but i do enjoy reading the pieces from the likes of Jamie Lynch, Dan Barber, David Johnson.

I buy the odd electronic edition of the Post now on a saturday mainly and for form study which is quite limited these days away from Irish flat handicaps and the big flat days in the UK i tend to use a mix of the racing post and also sportinglife/attheraces for videos.

Advertisement