Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 year degree from UL count as honours retrospectively?

Options
  • 17-10-2018 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I had a bit too much fun in UL back in the late 90s, got a BSc from a 4 year course.
    No honours, I think we called it "a pass degree" colloquially. Or maybe a 3rd. 
    I now need an honours degree to do a certain Masters in the UK. I remember a rumour on Boards years ago was that if you had completed a 4 year degree, it was automatically "Honours" regardless of the mark you got. 

The UL grade scale is here which indicates I got a "third honours" which is "Honours" in my book :) https://ulsites.ul.ie/mlal/sites/default/files/Grading%20Scales.pdf 

Can anyone shed further light on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Those are grades of the degree, not the level of the degree itself. Though I'd imagine a 4 year degree would be an Honours degree, I think back then an Ord degree was referred to as a diploma. An Ord degree is typically only 3 years.

You'd also want to check entry requirements on the Masters course, even with an Hons degree you may find your grade does not meet the requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

Can anyone shed further light on this?

The admissions office of the UK college probably can.

Advertisement