Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSISS - Maths vs Business/Finance content

Options
  • 17-10-2018 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I'm doing the LC this year and I'm considering putting down MSISS down as number 1 on the CAO. I feel the points and the maths grade is very achievable for me, but I'm not 100% sure if I'd like MSISS or if I'd be better off doing a less mathsy finance degree like Finance & Economics in UCD or Finance in Maynooth or Cork.

I'm easily getting H1s in my maths class tests and I'm aiming for the H1 in June, but I find LC maths pretty boring. I did applied maths for a while before my school stopped offering it and that was a lot more interesting, so I'm not sure if I just don't like LC maths because the course is boring or if I just don't like maths in general. I really like finance and economics and I'm also interested in computer science and programming, plus I would obviously like good job prospects after my degree, which is why I'm looking at MSISS. I also don't want a general business degree, as I already know I don't want to do marketing, human resources, etc.

Questions:
    Is the maths part of MSISS the majority of it, like 50, 75% or so? What's the difference between the maths and statistics modules? Is statistics another maths module, just in a different mathematical way? How many/what kind of finance and economics modules are done in the course and for how long? Is the maths significantly harder/easier than LC maths? Is the maths content engaging and interesting or boring and painful?

Thanks very much for any replies :)

Advertisement