Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBT AM/A1?

Options
  • 17-10-2018 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I'm moving home after spending 5 years in the US and I'm going to have to start from scratch, I noticed on the IBT the AM (Moped 50cc) and the A1 (Motorcycle 125cc) seem to be grouped together. If I completed IBT in an AM it seems I would also be able to ride a classified A1 on my learners permit, is this the case? 
    Also if someone passed the road test on an AM, would they then need to retake the test to ride an A1 classified bike? I know this is the case for the higher CCs but I'm unsure of how they differentiate AM and A1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The thing to remember is that it's nearly the same process for all bikes and very nearly the same overall costs. My advice is always the same - if you have an inkling enough to get on two wheels (like we all had at some point) go after the big bike licences, it's virtually the same expense and ball-ache. Get the learner category for cat A, get the IBT done in cat A, apply for the test and pass the test on a cat A; separate to all that, buy and run whatever bike you fancy (even if it's just a Cub 50) and do all the formal stuff on school bikes. Your instructor will prevent bikes, insurance, gear and a selection of bikes to try - take advantage and use this experience to see if you have a lip for it... the majority will do it.

To answer your questions, if you're over 24 all you need to do is take the theory test (it covers all four cycle categories), tick whichever categories you want - each category automatically incorporates all categories lower than it. As per your example, if you select just cats AM and A1 on your permit and you go on to pass the AM test, you will be reissued your permit automatically with the A1 only as the AM category will have moved to your full licence... remember that most scooters will be automatic and your full licence category the auto transmission restriction. If you're over 24, you can legally ride any bike you can get insurance on without any form of restriction from day one.

The whole thing is very convoluted but again and we could discuss variations and alternatives all day but do yourself a favour and adopt the attitude that it's kind of an all or nothing situation - the AM full licence category is still a considerable effort on its own and there is precious little to be gained out of shooting low.

Advertisement