Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to bring Irish car to Germany

Options
  • 16-10-2018 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Good evening,

I am off to Germany next week for a year to live over there. I will be back and forward to ireland regularly.

Instead of the hassle of buying a car, registering and insuring it over there I want to bring my own car over (irish reg irish insurance). I'm just wondering is this ok and would I need to still tax it and nct it.

Any info would be a great help!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,384 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Irish motor insurance usually only covers you for a continuous period of 30/40/60 days outside IRL/GB i.e. a long holiday in Europe. After that, they take the view that you have emigrated and your cover will cease.

This has been asked recently in relation to Spain and the consensus was that you'd be better off buying a car over there. In the case of Germany you'd probably pick up a decent secondhand motor for far less than what you'd pay in Ireland. Insuring it might be another matter....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Eirekillerz

coylemj wrote: »
    Irish motor insurance usually only covers you for a continuous period of 30/40/60 days outside IRL/GB i.e. a long holiday in Europe. After that, they take the view that you have emigrated and your cover will cease.

This has been asked recently in relation to Spain and the consensus was that you'd be better off buying a car over there. In the case of Germany you'd probably pick up a decent secondhand motor for far less than what you'd pay in Ireland. Insuring it might be another matter....

Could you just lie and say you bring the car back for 3 days every say 60 days must be some sort of loophole!
    Sadly not the case in Germany, a car over here that's worth 400 euro would be worth over a grand even if it was a 98 or 99. And I haven't been reading great things about insurance aswell (I'm 20 so I'm paying 3 grand a year for a 1.4 golf) I would also be considered a foreigner so insurance companies won't want to touch me with a 10ft pole!

Thanks for your response!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

They are very strict in Germany about cars, you have to register it everytime you move with the town you are living in and get a new reg-plate.
    They also have different stickers for the car based on the emissions when you have to do the tüv which is thier equivalent to the nct. I would tread very carefully. They are extremely anal about things like that and companies will try and get money out of you at every turn if they know that you dont understand everything. I know this as i just moved back after living there 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

if there is one thing you should not do, its try to deceive insurance companies. and if the worst happens and they catch you out, would it be worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

coylemj wrote: »
    They can't cease third party cover, as this is protected by EU directive.

I'd say it's totally opposite.
    Decent secondhand car in Germany will probably cost twice as much as in Ireland.
    But insurance there shouldn't be too much bother.

• Advertisement

Good evening,

I am off to Germany next week for a year to live over there. I will be back and forward to ireland regularly.

Instead of the hassle of buying a car, registering and insuring it over there I want to bring my own car over (irish reg irish insurance). I'm just wondering is this ok and would I need to still tax it and nct it.

Any info would be a great help!

Thanks!

What are you going to be doing in Germany for that year?
    Is it work, studies, holidays ???

And I haven't been reading great things about insurance aswell (I'm 20 so I'm paying 3 grand a year for a 1.4 golf) I would also be considered a foreigner so insurance companies won't want to touch me with a 10ft pole!

Thanks for your response!

Of course they would touch you, and they would offer you policy there no bother.
    I can also guarantee it would be way cheaper than you're paying in Ireland. Can't imagine insurance there would cost you over €1000.
    It's a normal country, where buying car insurance policy is a formality, not circus acrobatic exercise like in Ireland.

Advertisement