Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good download speeds poor Internet connection

Options
  • 15-10-2018 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi

In the last couple of weeks have noticed poor Internet connection on my phone and tv using 3 mobile broadband. Websites very slow to load, streams buffering alot despite getting approx 20 to 25 down and approx 8 up.

Went to 3 to check settings and they said all OK.

Also have Vodafone mobile connection and it has dipped lately but not as bad.

Is there anything anyone could recommend

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Hey bud,

First just to let you know I feel your pain on 3 broadband. It is not reliable and I always say that if you can get fixed line then just go for it.

If it was working before and has recently slowed then its time to look at what has changed.

First lets rule out problems on your side of the connection:

Have you had a new TV? Phone? Laptop? or Computer?
    Have you moved your modem, or changed it recently?
    Have you changed provider?

Speed alone is not the most reliable connection indicator. If you could, open a windows computer and press the Windows key and R togeather. In the box type ping -t 8.8.8.8
    Let it run for a while and post a picture of the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

I had Three on my phone a while back. Would often find that real application performance was terrible (couldn't even open a web page), yet speed tests showed 20Mbps+.

In short, they were terribly over-congested, but were rigging the speed tests. This is done using "QoS" to reserve bandwidth in the cell for speed tests.

Try other networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

9726_9726 wrote: »
    I had Three on my phone a while back. Would often find that real application performance was terrible (couldn't even open a web page), yet speed tests showed 20Mbps+.

In short, they were terribly over-congested, but were rigging the speed tests. This is done using "QoS" to reserve bandwidth in the cell for speed tests.

Try other networks.

Just to add to that, recently they shut down all of the O2 masts they bought, and moved 400,000 Tesco Mobile customers onto the main Three network, so now you are sharing with all of those. Fun times.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Wquirke1234

Hi m99T,

Nothing has changed really. Recently purchased a tp link router and all was well until about 3 weeks ago. Am getting 3 signal bars the whole time. Have also tried the broadband sim in unlocked phone as hot-spot and the results are same. Like I said 3 support were of zero use.

Can I check your recommended Checks on phone or router??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Wquirke1234

That makes sense. I knew tesco moved to 4g lately. Pity they don't do any reasonable broadband only plans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Hi m99T,

Nothing has changed really. Recently purchased a tp link router and all was well until about 3 weeks ago. Am getting 3 signal bars the whole time. Have also tried the broadband sim in unlocked phone as hot-spot and the results are same. Like I said 3 support were of zero use.

Can I check your recommended Checks on phone or router??

Thanks
    That makes sense. I knew tesco moved to 4g lately. Pity they don't do any reasonable broadband only plans

Alrighty. Well we know that your home network isnt to blame so we can start shifting the blame away from you.

First thing is check if your router provides accurate signal data (Not just bars) and we can work from that to determine if your link has been compromised.

If a operator works on a mast and changes an antenna it can cause issues like this, but it is unlikely.

Lets check this first before we go right onto blaming the 3 Network. (Hint though: It's going to be the 3 network, just gotta tick off the boxes first)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭del roy

download 14.8 megabits

upload 14.6

wireless conection

Can anyone tell me if this is average internet speed.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

del roy wrote: »
    download 14.8 megabits
    upload 14.6

These being so close together hints that you're being limited by your wifi. Give us more info.

But really its enough to stream in full rate 1080p so you're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭del roy

ED E wrote: »
    These being so close together hints that you're being limited by your wifi. Give us more info.

But really its enough to stream in full rate 1080p so you're fine.

Thanks very much

Advertisement