Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a book

• 15-10-2018 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭

Hi. I used to read a lot many years ago.

More recently I read the DaVinci series. I have read Stephen Kings 'Insomnia' 3 times.

I am looking for something new to read. Something light fiction and not too complicated or I lose interest.

Not interested in autobiographies or real life crime etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭CWF

Lee Childs Jack Reacher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If you like King I'd recommend Full Dark, No Stars which is a collection of short stories by him which are pretty eerie. It's a good time of year to read something like that with Halloween around the corner.

Alternatively, you might enjoy King's 11/22/63. It's a time travel story but it's not complicated.

CWF wrote: »
    Lee Childs Jack Reacher?

Second this. Or Michael Connellys Harry Bosch.

If you like King I'd recommend Full Dark, No Stars which is a collection of short stories by him which are pretty eerie. It's a good time of year to read something like that with Halloween around the corner.

Alternatively, you might enjoy King's 11/22/63. It's a time travel story but it's not complicated.

Is that his best collection of short stories do you think? Love King, and short stories so will check them out. Different Seasons meant to be v good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

You might like Patricia Cornwell and Jeffery Deaver.

• Advertisement

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    You might like Patricia Cornwell and Jeffery Deaver.

I hated the bone collector by Jeffrey Deaver, I thought it was so bad!

CWF wrote: »
    Is that his best collection of short stories do you think? Love King, and short stories so will check them out. Different Seasons meant to be v good too.

His short stories collections are, IMO, his best work. If anybody is ever looking for an intro to his work, I'd recommend they start there. He has a bit of a knack of not knowing how to finish a story well, sometimes, so these snippets don't suffer as they don't require a neat little ending.

Different seasons is excellent. In no particular order, I'd also recommend:

Skeleton Crew
    Nightmares and dreamscapes
    Four past midnight (four mini novellas)
    Night Shift
    Just after Sunset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Thomas_IV

I've recently finished to read the book 'Stone of Destiny' by Ian R. Hamilton.

This book is recommendable to anybody who has an interest in modern Scottish history. It tells the story of the Stone of Destiny which was taken away in 1296 by the English King Edward I, brought to London and remained there as part of the Coronation Chair placed in Westminster Abbey until Christmas Day 1950 when the very author of the book, who was the head of the idea and took it away, by the help of some others to return it to Scotland. The stone was returned to London in Spring 1951 and eventually given back to Scotland in 1996 as 'a loan' which means to be brought back to London when a new Coronation takes place.

As the author himself states, he has written his account of that in the aftermath of his deed, which was in the early 1950s. The last two chapters were added by him in 2007 with a retrospect view on all that happened back then.

The Story itself is interesting, has a strong Scottish nationalist basis (not much unlike the Irish one) and shines through in every chapter. For my taste it is a bit too much of that, some parts might had been spared (in regards to the uprun, the actual travel period around Christmas 1950 and the return to pick up the Stone around New Years Eve 1950 / New Year 1951 and the couple of days later.

The following is a Quotation about the book from the Website of Blackwell's Oxford:
    Synopsis

This title is now a major Hollywood film starring Robert Carlyle and Billy Boyd. Ian Robertson Hamilton was an unknown law student at Glasgow University until Christmas Eve 1950. On that night, assisted by Alan Stewart, Gavin Vernon and Kay Matheson, he took the Stone of Destiny from beneath the Coronation Chair in Westminster Abbey and in doing so became a Scottish national hero. In England, however, the act had the opposite effect and a manhunt for the 'vulgar vandals' was started to satisfy the outrage of the English establishment and bring them to justice. In the end, the Stone was given up, but the gang were not charged. This solitary act set Hamilton on a path for the rest of his life from which he has not diverged. Although, it is now nearly sixty years since that fateful night, it is the actual events surrounding the taking of the Stone which hold people spellbound when Hamilton recounts them.In this book, Ian Hamilton has set down the chain of events which led to his decision to go to London, remove the Stone and a minute-by-minute account of the act and the aftermath. But this is not simply a retelling of a stunt that made nationwide news, it is a book about how a nation's conscience was stirred by a symbolic act that changed lives of many.

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/Stone-of-Destiny-by-Ian-R-Hamilton-author/9781841587295

Advertisement