Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gas heating / reinstallation price

Options
  • 15-10-2018 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello all,

I want to replace my gas boiler and remove the cylinder that currently heats the hot water in the tap. My place is a 2-floow detached bungalow with six radiators; the total surface area is 60 m2. The offer I got already is for a combi boiler and removing the cylinder (including all pipe work, etc).

Can someone advise what the price for such work would be, because speaking to colleages, it seems they are asking quite a lot.

Thanks in advance.
    Kind regards,
    Dimitar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

dimitarsh1 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I want to replace my gas boiler and remove the cylinder that currently heats the hot water in the tap. My place is a 2-floow detached bungalow with six radiators; the total surface area is 60 m2. The offer I got already is for a combi boiler and removing the cylinder (including all pipe work, etc).

Can someone advise what the price for such work would be, because speaking to colleages, it seems they are asking quite a lot.

Thanks in advance.
    Kind regards,
    Dimitar

You need to ensure that you are comparing like for like quotes.

Many plumbers quote for the combi to be fed off the mains as it's easier & cheaper for them. They then leave all the cold to the bath, sink & shower off the tank. This gives uneven pressure between the hot & cold. In most cases your thermostatic shower wont control the temperature with uneven pressure. I had a call from a landlord living in UK with apartment in Dublin. Plumber installed new bathroom & combi boiler & remove hot water cylinder. tenant can't control temperature of the shower. Plumber says that tenant controls temperature on the combi itself. Meaning that to change shower temperature tenant has to get out of shower, go into a different room to alter the temperature. Plumber stopped answering his phone to the landlord. Landlord has to pay another plumber to redo some of the work

Ideally you take supply from attic tank for the cold & the combi & pump both so both have equal pressure. Combi off mains is not a good idea for most of Ireland as our water pressure isn't strong enough to run hot & cold off the mains at the same time. It's also against the regs for Dublin.

Bottom line is one plumber could be quoting for combi off the mains & a more expensive quote could be off the attic tank & include a pump. That's my limited knowledge on combi boilers

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dimitarsh1

Thank you @Sleeper12,

I will double check with the company that gave me the offer.

Cheers,
    Dimitar

Advertisement