Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not using the first name on your birth certificate

Options
  • 14-10-2018 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭

During a tea break recently, I happened to mention that the name that they knew me as is not the first name on my birth certificate nor on my passport or bank account. I was surprised when roughly half the people at the tea break did not use their first name either. Some used their second name, some a name they were called when they were young, one person just liked the name and started to use it. Is this common not to use your first name?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Fine! Im going by Mario now

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A recent field study has revealed that about 50% of a randomly selected group of people do not habitually use their given name.

Link to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't use my birth name. I hate it so I go by my nickname, have done for years. If you called me by my birth name I probably wouldn't even register that it's me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I haven’t used my birth name since I was 6. I hate it so.

Unfortunately I have to use it on official documents. One day I might change it by deed poll. Just to make it official.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

mad muffin wrote: »
    One day I might change it by deed poll. Just to make it official.
    You don't need to. Habitual use changes your name by default. If your given name is Barry, but people generally know you as Larry, and you can demonstrate that this has been the case for an extended period, then the change has already taken place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

endacl wrote: »
    You don't need to. Habitual use changes your name by default. If your name is Barry Murphy but people generally know you as Larry Murphy and you can demonstrate that this has been the case for an extended period, then the change has already taken place.

FYP :eek: :)

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement