Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the perfect weakness to have? (The age old question)

Options
  • 14-10-2018 4:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38

After hearing back from a recruitment company with feedback after having an interview with the hiring manager of the actual company I was being interviewed for. So when I heard back from the recruitment company dude (who'd been onto the hiring manager), he told me that it was a good interview over all. But he said that as I was giving my answer to one question, that something didn't feel quite right about some of the things I said.

This was was said by me in my answer to the "what are your weaknesses?" question! I could understand what he meant in telling me that some of what I said had "raised alarms", but all the same, I was honest with my answer and I showed a very good understanding of the weakness I described. I used the phrase "in the past" with it, and I also explained how I've overcome it. For my actual answer, I had talked about how it can be difficult for me to prioritise at the beginning of a new project. Perhaps this weakness was an even worse one to have for a technical sales role.

I felt very well prepared for all the other questions, so it just annoys me that out of twelve questions, that it was my answer to my weaknesses question that was used against me. I mean they'll always be able to use that one against you.

In the past I used this same weakness (as I did above) as my answer in a mock interview, and I was told that my answer was fine. But following the formula obviously isn't enough if you haven't chosen the right weakness. I hate the way interview coaches are taught to tell you to be honest. I don't believe that being honest is always the best. Especially when this is a question where you can't get caught lying. What I actually think, is that unless you genuinely believe that you're the best candidate for a job out of 50 or more others, then I believe that you'd want to be a bloody good liar to get through such an interview! I also think the perfect weakness to have will vary depending on the role itself. Like if you were going for an interview to be a truck driver, you could say that you're afraid of public speaking.

But I have to wonder if a lot of interviewers don't really care about the honest answer, and more so want to see how well you react under pressure. What is the perfect weakness to have. I know you can't say that you're a perfectionist.

Comments

I've only done one big interview where this was asked. I said I couldn't work in an untidy environment. Not like OCD bad, but I said it was a problem in the last job I had.

It's definitely not the best, but no manager is going to want to sit there and think "Damn, our environement is a mess. We can't hire him."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 WinOrLearn BusFighter

I've only done one big interview where this was asked. I said I couldn't work in an untidy environment. Not like OCD bad, but I said it was a problem in the last job I had.

It's definitely not the best, but no manager is going to want to sit there and think "Damn, our environement is a mess. We can't hire him."
    That would have been a grand answer for me, because with this job I would've been working from home anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,245 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

For my actual answer, I had talked about how it can be difficult for me to prioritise at the beginning of a new project.

Thats an awful answer to that question.

If I was asking somebody what their weakness was I certainly wouldn't expect them to respond with something so specific, and I wouldn't ignore it if they did.

The question isn't really about what you are good or bad at, because no interviewer really expects a candidate to criticise themselves. The question is just looking to see if the candidate has prepared, or how they responded to something they perceived as a weakness in the past.

The real trick is to present something the company might like as a weakness, for example saying, "I used to throw myself into my work and take on far too much, but now I've learned to manage my time a bit better". Thats a guy who gets stuck in and works hard. "I used to get frustrated at others not doing high quality work, but now I've learned to work with them and help them along". Thats a guy who does high quality work and wants others to do the same.

"I find it hard to get things going at the start of a project". Thats a guy who will find it hard to get things going if we hire him.

Yes, be honest in an interview, but honesty means not lying or claiming things that aren't true. It doesn't mean voluntarily offering up information that paints you in a bad light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

"What's your biggest weakness?"

"Probably my honesty."

"Ah now, I don't think that's a weakness!"

"I couldn't give a fuck what you think."

I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Normally reply to this question in this way:
    "The areas I'm focusing on developing are <insert something non critical to the role>"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

"I pay too much attention to detail" I thought was the stock answer to that.

Still better than the where do you see yourself in five years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

A huge schlong if you are a man. Big knockers if you are a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

In the past, the way to answer this was the old present a positive as a negative, e.g. "I work too hard." This sort of answer will usually elicit a groan these days.

These days you'd hope interviewers aren't stupid enough to ask this question expecting an honest answer. In most cases, this question is being asked to make sure the interviewee has the ability to self-reflect and learn from mistakes. Don't just present a weakness, make sure to say how you are tackling it - and never pick a weakness you aren't well on the way to fixing.

Good answers I can think of might be:
    "I was never comfortable with public speaking, but I needed it for my career, so I've been forcing myself to give more presentations in public and I think I'm well on my way to becoming proficient."
    "I think I was too focused on quantity of work rather than quality. Now I make sure to spend enough time thinking about what I'm trying to achieve rather than launching into activity, and this has benefitted me enormously."
    "I used to find prioritisation difficult. Now I carry a notebook and write all my tasks down, then spend Sunday evening organising my work week."
    "

kneemos wrote: »
    Still better than the where do you see yourself in five years.
    Yes but I had a good stock answer for that one, which I actually got in the same interview!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

'I'm such a perfectionist!'
    or maybe
    'In my last company I worked so hard that I ran out work so I took everyone else's work and did all of it and then there was no work left for anyone and so the company had to close down'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Excessive masturbation. But you have it under control and in no instance will you fap on company time or property or to company lasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Stock answer “I tend not to delegate and do too much myself...”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I have to say, stating in an interview that you struggle to prioritise tasks when starting a project is akin to Kryptonite to a potential employer. The start of any project is the key moment to prioritise tasks, priorities may change throughout the duration of the project - that's pretty much a given in most industries - but by saying that you can't prioritise at the start you are telling the prospective employer that you have poor planning and it may even hint at you not having a good grasp on your projects if you can't get your priorities in line before it even starts

To be fair I'm surprised this question is even asked anymore because nearly every answer to the weakness question is a bullsheit answer, regardless of who is answering it

If I ever get asked this again, I'll give my answer and then ask what the company's is. Interviews are a two way street after all.

Excessive masturbation. But you have it under control and in no instance will you fap on company time or property or to company lasses.
    Not even to the thought of company lasses at home in my bedroom. Honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

"What's your biggest weakness?"

"Probably my honesty."

"Ah now, I don't think that's a weakness!"

"I couldn't give a fuck what you think."

That's brilliant!! I really want to use it in my next interview! (Someone please stop me!!)

If I ever get asked this again, I'll give my answer and then ask what the company's is. Interviews are a two way street after all.
    That's a good point, but would you really? Would it seem a bit 'tit for tat' from your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

My biggest weakness is my refusal to answer bull**** questions. Probably why I don't do job interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I usually say Public speaking or presentations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

My weakness is I was born with a conscience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

No problem.
    You get the cleaner's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Samsgirl wrote: »
    I usually say Public speaking or presentations

Same!

Firstly because it sort of excuses any obvious interview nerves, as I'm saying it's my weak point.

Secondly in most of the finance/accounting roles I've worked in, there's very little required in terms of verbal presentations. So admitting it as a weakness is unlikely to prevent me from getting the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

kryptonite

Private Eye this week
    Question: Now tell me, what do you think you would bring to our company?
    Answer: Well, a packed lunch and a briefcase probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

KevinCavan wrote: »
    A huge schlong if you are a man. Big knockers if you are a woman.

So you have a weakness for big schlongs?

Advertisement