Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric vehicle when renting?

Options
  • 14-10-2018 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Has anybody bought an electric vehicle while renting a property?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

KevinCavan wrote: »
    Has anybody bought an electric vehicle while renting a property?

Yes, a GF apt, had parking outside, management co would not permit an external socket to be fitted so I drilled out a 16 mm hole under the patio door frame and ran a 2.5 sq extension lead, which I pulled out anytime the LL said he was coming.

Sealed it up when I left

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Orebro

Yes, a GF apt, had parking outside, management co would not permit an external socket to be fitted so I drilled out a 16 mm hole under the patio door frame and ran a 2.5 sq extension lead, which I pulled out anytime the LL said he was coming.

Sealed it up when I left

My kind of man - well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Also living in an apartment with which there is only on street parking makes charging an electric car more challenging

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Sealed it up when I left

The LL would be within his rights to withold your deposit for that. I'd be well pissed off if I was him.

Saying you sealed it up after isnt the point either. What if that sealer breaks down after you've left.

I'm all for enabling people in apt's to get charge points installed but drilling the patio door without the LL's permission isnt the way to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

just to clear: I did not drill the door. I drilled horizontally, above the dpc, from out side, under the saddle, and then vertically on the inside. It was sealed solid with cement grout......

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

KevinCavan wrote: »
    Also living in an apartment with which there is only on street parking makes charging an electric car more challenging

Unfortunately that's the worst case scenario. Unless you have charging at work and reliably accessible public chargers near you, I'd say this is a non-runner.

I'm renting, but I have an allocated space in an underground car park, adjacent to my own storage unit with power - right now the 13A sockets (definitely tied to my meter) are fine for my PHEV. I think this kind of setup is quite rare in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

just to clear: I did not drill the door. I drilled horizontally, above the dpc, from out side, under the saddle, and then vertically on the inside. It was sealed solid with cement grout......

Much of a muchness calahonda. If you were a LL would you encourage your tenants to do the same (i.e. drill away as you see fit and dont bother asking for permission)?

Its asking for trouble, is all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

I'm in the same boat. Frustrating that the car park has street lighting, could just add some sockets to it... But the management company isn't interested. Second floor so can't run an extension lead.

I'm contemplating various options... Work charging looks like it won't be possible. With a 500km range EV like a Niro or Kona I might be able to survive on the meagre public charging that is available.

When you move out cite lack of EV charging as one of the reasons you are going.

Advertisement