Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion tripping mains.

Options
  • 13-10-2018 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

When I switch immersion on its tripping the mains.

Could this be a faulty thermostat or might I need a new immersion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's most likely the immersion.

If you have it on bath try it on sink or sink to bath. There are two immersions. If it doesn't trip when you swap one immersion for the other then it's almost certainly the immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's most likely the immersion.

If you have it on bath try it on sink or sink to bath. There are two immersions. If it doesn't trip when you swap one immersion for the other then it's almost certainly the immersion.

+1 on this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

When I switch immersion on its tripping the mains.

Unless you have signs of melted/damaged cables it's very unlikely that you don't need a new immersion.

(And to the other posters it is possible for an RCD to be tripped regardless of which element is selected as they are joined together at one end.)

Unless you have signs of melted/damaged cables it's very unlikely that you don't need a new immersion.

(And to the other posters it is possible for an RCD to be tripped regardless of which element is selected as they are joined together at one end.)

They are joined together at one end, but by switching from either bath to sink or other way you are taking the phase off the faulty element meaning that 3lement can no longer trip your rcd as you now have no leakage on that element

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

TheBully wrote: »
    They are joined together at one end, but by switching from either bath to sink or other way you are taking the phase off the faulty element meaning that 3lement can no longer trip your rcd as you now have no leakage on that element

You will have the neutral leaking to earth, depending on the resistance it may or may not be sufficient to trip the rcd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Masala

Ya... happened to me last week. Had an electrician in as I thought it was the immersion switch

He told me is the element in the hot tank....so I npneeded a plumber!!

Got plumber then and he switched out old element and put in new one

All good since

You will have the neutral leaking to earth, depending on the resistance it may or may not be sufficient to trip the rcd.

I agree that’s possible.
    Either way she needs a new immersion

Advertisement