Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Own 0.6 Acres in Athboy but Can't get Planning Permissions

Options
  • 13-10-2018 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've inherited land near Athboy in Meath, but my family historically have been refused planning permission to build as we are not locals from the area.

I'm looking to build and live in a property on this land now, but Obviously I need to go about planning permission a different way other than just establishing a need for housing.

I've been told best plan is to:

- Use a Local Architect to have plans drawn up
    - Have a local Land Surveyor or Planner submit the plans for us.

My questions:

1 - How do I go about approaching a Land Surveyor or Planner to do this
    2 - Is there anything else I should do that could help my cause.

Many thanks. E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

google one in athboy,navan or trim area. prove you are local needs, that is that you will be working or starting a business in the area etc. you may have to have proof of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How much are you comfortable to spend on trying to get planning.. And then getting shot down... I've Ídea How much a planning consultant would cost, but the more work they've to do, the more it'll cost... With no guarantee, also how flexible are you on size and exterior finish? Because the local authority may well have a style in mind that might or might not suit your own style...
    Things like using local schools for kids (if you have them) being members of local clubs and associations, availing of local facilities... All help to establish a local need

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

County Council in Cork broke my sisters heart with refusals. The cost were architects plans, lawyers etc etc.
    I think it was because she wasnt partial to dropping a brown paper envelope. They were notorious in Kilkenny before they stamped one engineer out over corruption

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Markcheese wrote: »
    How much are you comfortable to spend on trying to get planning.. And then getting shot down... I've Ídea How much a planning consultant would cost, but the more work they've to do, the more it'll cost... With no guarantee, also how flexible are you on size and exterior finish? Because the local authority may well have a style in mind that might or might not suit your own style...
    Things like using local schools for kids (if you have them) being members of local clubs and associations, availing of local facilities... All help to establish a local need

The plot itself is probably only worth 30k without Planning, and wouldn't be too easy to sell.

So I don't mind spending a few Grand to chase the planning permission if there's a reasonable chance of securing it. How much do you reckon it would cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Your plot in Athboy wouldn't have a little bit sticking into Westmeath by any chance. It would make things a lot easier as I've seen it happen with friends of mine. Plot of land, part in Meath, part in Westmeath. Nothing but bull**** from Meath County Council while submitting the same plans with the house repositioned on the site to Westmeath County Council went as smooth as a silk hanky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Any architect worth their salt should be easily able to tell you whether you've a chance of getting planning permission or not. I know one that I used will straight up tell someone not to waste their money applying for planning permission if he doesn't see any hope of the council granting it. Can pass the firm's name on if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Any architect worth their salt should be easily able to tell you whether you've a chance of getting planning permission or not. I know one that I used will straight up tell someone not to waste their money applying for planning permission if he doesn't see any hope of the council granting it. Can pass the firm's name on if you wish.

Would love this if you could pass it on thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 yellaghbelly

could i also get this guys details, i've been looking in meath for a while now, to have access to a recommended local architect would be useful

Advertisement