Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find me a home

Options
  • 13-10-2018 12:33am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is a new TV show presented by Brendan Courtney about Irish 20 and 30 somethings still living in the parental home and keen to move out.

Now there is a very real and severe housing crisis in this country and Dublin is at the sharp end of that. It’s very difficult for young people to access affordable rental property to call their own, let alone a mortgage for a property that is becoming an unattainable dream for so many.

But a couple of the young adults featured in the show it seemed to me weren’t all that put out about living with their parents as they were showing zero signs of any financial responsibility by spending obscene amounts on nights out, holidays, designer clothes, eating out etc. One young woman was getting into serious credit card debt and refused to face up to her problems.

This is a bit of an insult to those genuinely struggling in the highly dysfunctional housing market. You really can’t complain about not being able to afford a place of your own when you’re spending money like it’s going out of fashion...

Comments

Well stated, I could not agree more. At top end, money has flooded in and distorted overall picture. It's grand shure, Joe soapbox will still be passively compliant in honouring repayment whereas Johnny Ronan can play hooky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

It's not going to have your regular everyday couple working 9-5, maybe doing a weekend job aswell to save for a house. That's boring tv.

Instead they prefer to show couples who couldnt save if their lives depended on it. These people moved in with there parents not to save money but they can't look after themselves.

It doesn't show the true hardship some people go through to get a home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Philosophy Zombie

RTE have their millennial avocado toast moment. They are so behind the times. It's deliberate selecting on their part to frame a picture of a generation
    of reckless eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

jamesbere wrote: »
    It's not going to have your regular everyday couple working 9-5, maybe doing a weekend job aswell to save for a house. That's boring tv.

Instead they prefer to show couples who couldnt save if their lives depended on it. These people moved in with there parents not to save money but they can't look after themselves.

It doesn't show the true hardship some people go through to get a home.

What a way to make a living.

ChOLScRWYAAvjNo?format=jpg&name=orig

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

JupiterKid wrote: »
    This is a new TV show presented by Brendan Courtney about Irish 20 and 30 somethings still living in the parental home and keen to move out.

Now there is a very real and severe housing crisis in this country and Dublin is at the sharp end of that. It’s very difficult for young people to access affordable rental property to call their own, let alone a mortgage for a property that is becoming an unattainable dream for so many.

But a couple of the young adults featured in the show it seemed to me weren’t all that put out about living with their parents as they were showing zero signs of any financial responsibility by spending obscene amounts on nights out, holidays, designer clothes, eating out etc. One young woman was getting into serious credit card debt and refused to face up to her problems.

This is a bit of an insult to those genuinely struggling in the highly dysfunctional housing market. You really can’t complain about not being able to afford a place of your own when you’re spending money like it’s going out of fashion...

Idiots make good TV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Philosophy Zombie

More rubbish from RTE but then again, what's new?

Boycott their crap already.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

I thought you were actually looking for help. I was going to recommend a one bed house in Sutton ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭elli21

I really hate the use of the expression "free house"

I live in a council house...My rent in Celbridge ..Ballymakealy 150 weekley.....

How is that a free house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

elli21 wrote: »
    I really hate the use of the expression "free house"

I live in a council house...My rent in Celbridge ..Ballymakealy

How is that a free house

Ok. Spectacularly cheap house?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I think the expression relates to where the money comes from. Is the 600 rent coming from wages or from benefits?

From benefits = free house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

I just watched half of one episode (before RTE player bugged out) and about 70% of that was them following around a property developer in Portlaoise who had two properties on sale for €195K and had no people show up to both viewings? Just shows that there is housing available if you're willing to look outside of Dublin / big cities.

Ok. Spectacularly cheap house?

My rent is 150 euro weekley ...

It's by no means a free house
    Should have mentioied that in my post

We have failmy and friend's that have also emigratted from SA or other countries that pay less on us

Why would you move out an pay rent unless you absolutely had to, I don’t get people’s desire to move out of home.

I didn’t move out until 24 (and hated having to leave) and only did so because the job I got was too far to commute, still I was home every weekend and most of my stuff is still at home, all letters go there still there etc. I’d never have moved out until my own house was built (next door) unless I had to. Rent is such a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think op got the name of the programme wrong. Brendan’s show is called This Crowded House. Find me a Home is actually decent viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Why would you move out an pay rent unless you absolutely had to, I don’t get people’s desire to move out of home.

I didn’t move out until 24 (and hated having to leave) and only did so because the job I got was too far to commute, still I was home every weekend and most of my stuff isnstilll at home, a letter still there etc. I’d never have moved out until my own house was built (next door) unless I had to. Rent is such a waste of money.

Different strokes for different folks. I left home at 17 and could not get out of there fast enough.

Independence was a massive thing for me. And getting out of a small town to go see and live in different cities and countries.

My rent is 150 euro weekley ...

It's by no means a free house
    Should have mentioied that in my post

We have failmy and friend's that have also emigratted from SA or other countries that pay less on us

600 a month for a house is as good as free and most pay less or nothing. If you can afford 600 a month you should not be getting a council house anyway as you could easily afford to rent a room in a house share without using taxpayers money.

600 a month for a house is as good as free and most pay less or nothing. If you can afford 600 a month you should not be getting a council house anyway as you could easily afford to rent a room in a house share without using taxpayers money.
    I/we have being liiving in our home since 2000.

When I say we we are a family of five....but sure we must rent a room???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I didn’t move out until 24 (and hated having to leave) and only did so because the job I got was too far to commute, still I was home every weekend and most of my stuff is still at home, all letters go there still there etc. I’d never have moved out until my own house was built (next door) unless I had to. Rent is such a waste of money.
    Some people have friends and girl/boyfriends and would like to have them over and be able to enjoy their free time and independence

Must also add 600 Euro a month might be no skin of your wallet..

It makes a dint of ours

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Some people have friends and girl/boyfriends and would like to have them over and be able to enjoy their free time and independence

Weirdos

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Shower Doctor

Get them bulled and free house.

I know!
    Living as an adult subsidised by your parents until your 20s or 30s is such a better, grown up thing to do!

Why would living at home stop any of that, never stopped me? A good few of my fiends only moved out after getting married and buying their own house so it definitely shouldn’t be a issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

RTE have their millennial avocado toast moment. They are so behind the times. It's deliberate selecting on their part to frame a picture of a generation
    of reckless eejits.

to be fair any channels who are doing programs like this or similar are at the same thing. take the benefits programs on channel 5 for example, always the extreme cases shown to push a particular agenda/narrative. it's by no means a rte specific thing.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I'd much rather have my own space TBH, so I don't really mind paying rent.

You can't put a price on independence. (if It can be done).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

One reason RTE is gone to hell is they OTT on programming related to the 'real lives' of the 'the people'. Depressing and painful to watch stuff. I want escapism when I watch TV and not to be horrified by the dreary lives of the ppl around the country.

Does anyone remember the young Dublin woman on Dole Life, who at the weekend in nightclubs said "I just want to GO MAD" but in the morning continually missed her bus to work because it arrived too early for her, the poor little struggling disco bunny. It's like seeing something upsetting - you never really get it out of your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭QuintusFabius

Must also add 600 Euro a month might be no skin of your wallet..

It makes a dint of ours

You get child allowance too ???

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think the expression relates to where the money comes from. Is the 600 rent coming from wages or from benefits?

er no. This shows a basic lack of understanding as to how the welfare state works. There is no such thing as a free house. The state pays so that those who cannot do not live on the street. ie the state looks after us all. so no house is free.... but no mileage in using the phrase in a derogatory, pejorative sense as that just,,, well. shows you up...
    those who are unable to pay are supported by the state

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Graces7 wrote: »

er no. This shows a basic lack of understanding as to how the welfare state works. There is no such thing as a free house. The state pays so that those who cannot do not live on the street. ie the state looks after us all. so no house is free.... but no mileage in using the phrase in a derogatory, pejorative sense as that just,,, well. shows you up...
    those who are unable to pay are supported by the state

Ok well if you want to be technical..in the context concerned...

Paid from benefits = free for the beneficiary

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Why would living at home stop any of that, never stopped me? A good few of my fiends only moved out after getting married and buying their own house so it definitely shouldn’t be a issue.
    Do they get off on their parents hearing them riding? It's bad enough with housemates but the auld ones, they must be dirty feckers

Advertisement