Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite type and Size recommendations

Options
  • 12-10-2018 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

My Triax 110cm satellite dish blew down in the storm and it's unrepairable. I now only use it for FreeSat and FTA on Astra 2/1N and I suspect the larger the dish, the more susceptible it is to high winds in the West of Ireland. So what would be the ideal size for Galway and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

get this 64 cm TRIAX Universal HQ Satellite Dish - Non rust - Sky, Astra,

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Thanks. Since I live in a windy area, would the mesh version be better or are there other disadvantages to the mesh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

SeamusFX wrote: »
    Thanks. Since I live in a windy area, would the mesh version be better or are there other disadvantages to the mesh?

The perforations do not make them any better in the wind. There is also no scientific reason for them. The only advantage to a mesh dish is that it makes them slightly lighter in the box for shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

SeamusFX wrote: »
    My Triax 110cm satellite dish blew down in the storm and it's unrepairable. I now only use it for FreeSat and FTA on Astra 2/1N and I suspect the larger the dish, the more susceptible it is to high winds in the West of Ireland. So what would be the ideal size for Galway and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Look you'll need something a little bigger than 60. Get the TD 78. Its €40. Satplanet are over your way.

High winds will rip anything off a wall perforated or not. The key is getting it tight to a wall preferably sheltered. A dish does not have to be on the roof, above a roof unless there are obstacles. It can be a few feet off the ground. Just dont park your car in front of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Delta Lima

I would have thought a TD 64 would be sufficient, especially if your dish is in an exposed location to westerly winds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Delta Lima wrote: »
    I would have thought a TD 64 would be sufficient, especially if your dish is in an exposed location to westerly winds.

Astra 2G is the weakest beam on 28.2E

The maps tell you that the strength is somewhere between 50 and 47db. The reality is that there is little room for error with dish positioning and/or rain fade, in my opinion. I see it myself on the south east coast. High winds move your dish ever so slightly no matter how tightly its done.

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/interactive/Astra-2G-Europe-Ku.html

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

Using a dual LNB setup means 1 or both of the lnbs are offset and therefore wouldn't be getting the full benefits of the dish size, so I would recommend an 80cm triax dish, with a good quality welded bracket, try and make sure the brackets standoff is the minimum possible to keep it as close to wall as possible and try and find as sheltered spot as you can. You might get by with a 65cm but it would be tight and more likely for breakup in moderate to heavy rain. also get the bracket plumb first makes everything easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Delta Lima

Sorry, I missed the bit about Astra 1N , so if it's a dual LNB setup a TD 78 would be better.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm not sure if OP is after 2 positions or just 28.2°E, where 1N was stationed for a fair while before moving to 19.2°E?

Advertisement