Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia

Options
  • 12-10-2018 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

HI folks am thinking of going to brisbane in march for my sons 21st. Were not to keen on the long flight but were thinking going buisness class or first class to make the journey more relaxing. Any here done this or any recommendations who to fly wit. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

burberry wrote: »
    HI folks am thinking of going to brisbane in march for my sons 21st. Were not to keen on the long flight but were thinking going buisness class or first class to make the journey more relaxing. Any here done this or any recommendations who to fly wit. Thanks in advance.

Have a look on Sky scanner .ie put in dates etc this will give you prices, Etihad or Emirates would be my choice

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

I've flown to Sydney so similar journey in..

Business class with Emirates/Singapore Airlines
    First with Qantas
    Premium economy Virgin/Air New Zealand

The business and first were both booked with points though.
    I honestly wouldn't pay for first unless I just didn't care about money at all. The food is better and the seat is a bit better but business is perfectly comfortable.

Even premium economy on that journey length can make a huge difference so I wouldn't discount that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Anyone gone with Qatar Airways?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

burberry wrote:

How much does this normally work out at?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    How much does this normally work out at?

Roughly €7k for business and €13k for first class for 2 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,092 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

A much cheaper option which delivers many of the same benefits is to travel cattle class, but break the journey overnight in Dubai or Abu Dhabi and check into the airside hotel for at least 7 hours. You get to sleep flat, in a bed, in the dark, in the quiet. It makes a huge difference to how you feel on arrival in Australia. And it only costs a couple of hundred euros, as opposed to thousands.

Downside is that it lengthens the journey time by seven to twelve hours, depending on how the connections work out. But having done it once, it's now something I try to do every time, if the connections work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭PapaOscar

aido79 wrote: »
    Roughly €7k for business and €13k for first class for 2 people.

What do you get for the 7k as opposed to a normal economy ticket?

PapaOscar wrote: »
    What do you get for the 7k as opposed to a normal economy ticket?
    A bigger seat that (on most airlines) will fold completely flat or nearly so, more space, a bigger screen, nicer food better presented, more attentive service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭wassie

May be a bit late, but Ive flown to Aus with Etihad business a couple of times. Going out of Dublin was on an older A330-200.
    However the flight to Aus first time (Melbourne) was on the 787 (Dreamliner) which was excellent.

The second time was to Sydney on the A380 - there were 2 business class cabins and its was massive. Didnt get the personalised serviced as with the 787 as it was so big, but there is the 'bar' on the A380 which is interesting enough to wander around and meet people.

If I were to choose again it would be the 787 hands down due to its refinement and intimacy of the cabin.

If you want detailed answers on almost every airline, checkout this forum. Folks there are quite welcoming and there are some very clued up frequent flyers who will give you invaluable tips. https://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/

• Advertisement

It’s not too late for me anyway.
    They want me to come for Easter 2019 and the cheapest one stop route is through Doha with Qatar Airways. That gives both 787 and A380

You should check with a travel agent - they often have deals that are not always available to the public, including 2 for 1s. Business class fares are also subject to different peaks and troughs than regular economies so worth a call at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I recently flew Sydney to Frankfurt Business Class with Etihad, first time with them and they upgraded me to first class Abu Dhabi to Frankfurt probably in attempt to secure future business. The First class lounge was good in Abu Dhabi but the flight wasn’t much different to business. I usually fly Singapore and they are far better in service and comfort.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I recently flew Sydney to Frankfurt Business Class with Etihad, first time with them and they upgraded me to first class Abu Dhabi to Frankfurt probably in attempt to secure future business. The First class lounge was good in Abu Dhabi but the flight wasn’t much different to business. I usually fly Singapore and they are far better in service and comfort.

Singapore Airlines are two stops which is putting me off even though it’s €100 cheaper.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Singapore Airlines are two stops which is putting me off even though it’s €100 cheaper.

Yeah it’s a pain having to go Heathrow, Singapore 380 seats are 30” and the Etihad 777 and A330 business is something like 19” or 20” and first Class Etihad 777 is only about 28” but the screen is huge and you are in an enclosed pod.

Singapore Business beats Etihad Business hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Marcus1234

Peregrinus wrote: »
    A much cheaper option which delivers many of the same benefits is to travel cattle class, but break the journey overnight in Dubai or Abu Dhabi and check into the airside hotel for at least 7 hours. You get to sleep flat, in a bed, in the dark, in the quiet. It makes a huge difference to how you feel on arrival in Australia. And it only costs a couple of hundred euros, as opposed to thousands.

Downside is that it lengthens the journey time by seven to twelve hours, depending on how the connections work out. But having done it once, it's now something I try to do every time, if the connections work out.

Is this much more expensive to do or does it work out much the same for flights?

Marcus1234 wrote: »
    Is this much more expensive to do or does it work out much the same for flights?
    The flights cost exactly the same. You can buy a ticket with, say, a 15-hour layover in Dubai for the same price as a ticket with a 2-hour layover.

The only additional cost is the hotel room. For a double bedded room for the night of 15/16 December (picked at random) booking.com just quoted me 164 euros, so that's the kind of extra money you're talking about.

Yeah it’s a pain having to go Heathrow, Singapore 380 seats are 30” and the Etihad 777 and A330 business is something like 19” or 20” and first Class Etihad 777 is only about 28” but the screen is huge and you are in an enclosed pod.

Singapore Business beats Etihad Business hands down.

I’m not sure I could justify the cost of Business class to myself. I’m s something like 3 times the price of a pan economy ticket.

I’m not sure I could justify the cost of Business class to myself. I’m s something like 3 times the price of a pan economy ticket.

I’m flying Business and the policy is over 4hrs flight and you fly business. Not hard in a country size and geographic location of Australia. Been to Germany 3 times in the last 2 years and it’s hardly like I’m paying out of my own pocket or anything.

I’m flying Business and the policy is over 4hrs flight and you fly business. Not hard in a country size and geographic location of Australia. Been to Germany 3 times in the last 2 years and it’s hardly like I’m paying out of my own pocket or anything.
    Ah that’s different. I bet you wouldn’t be doing it if it was coming out of your own pocket.

• Advertisement

Ah that’s different. I bet you wouldn’t be doing it if it was coming out of your own pocket.

Usually Premium economy to Ireland via London as I have a wife and 2 kids, but Singapore and Etihad offer Velocity and I fly domestically a few times a week so I travel enough to maintain Platinum with an absolute sh!tliad of points. Plenty of free domestic Virgin upgrades and I can turn the velocity points into Kris Flyer to upgrade to Premium or if im on my own upgrade to business. Of course I’m only paying economy... so you could say it’s out of my own pocket. lol

Theres also the the new Qantas route from Heathrow direct to Perth on a 787 - scheduled as a 17+ hour flight but they regularly do it in a bit less.

Apparently back in April a flight did it in 15hr 45mins - and landed the airline in a bit of strife with the airport for messing up land schedules.

You can then seamless transfer onwards to anywhere in Oz, however a stopover at the beach is pretty enticing.

wassie wrote: »
    Theres also the the new Qantas route from Heathrow direct to Perth on a 787 - scheduled as a 17+ hour flight but they regularly do it in a bit less.

Apparently back in April a flight did it in 15hr 45mins - and landed the airline in a bit of strife with the airport for messing up land schedules.

You can then seamless transfer onwards to anywhere in Oz, however a stopover at the beach is pretty enticing.

My family are in Perth but that’s a long flight. It involves Heathrow too and looks more expensive. That said the departure and arrival times are nice.
    Have you done it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

If you don't mind, look at flying out of Oslo or Stockholm, there are frequently much cheaper business class seats from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Peregrinus wrote: »
    A bigger seat that (on most airlines) will fold completely flat or nearly so, more space, a bigger screen, nicer food better presented, more attentive service.

I think I'd just invest in a few prescription sleeping tablets. You won't miss out on anything. No seat or airline food is worth that amount of money.

I think I'd just invest in a few prescription sleeping tablets. You won't miss out on anything. No seat or airline food is worth that amount of money.

Feel a bit the same. I think I’d rather splash out on a nice hotel when I get there instead.
    Has anyone done that 17 hour flight?

Advertisement