Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Fibre Broadband. Fernhill Nt.Circular Road.

Options
  • 12-10-2018 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I recently moved into Fernhill on the North Circular road in Limerick city and there is no fibre broadband in the estate.
    How is this possible, that somewhere in the city center has no fibre broadband.
    It seems like I can only get 6mb DSL from Sky, which is slower than broadband in the countryside.
    Is there any other options?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

ColinD4881 wrote: »
    I recently moved into Fernhill on the North Circular road in Limerick city and there is no fibre broadband in the estate.
    It seems like I can only get 6mb DSL from Sky, which is slower than broadband in the countryside.
    Thanks in advance.

Is it a relatively newly built estate? If so it appears open eir have decided that all new build estates will be FTTH only. Unfortunately it is a waiting game as to when they will actually run the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ColinD4881

No, it's quite an old estate.  The DSL is very unstable ~3mb - 6mb.
    There is no fiber infrastructure apart from SIRO which is FTTH but only services 3/4 of the estate, my house being one of the ones left out of this!
    Doesn't seem like anything will be done here so need to find some feasible option for working from home etc.

Thanks in advance.

Is it a relatively newly built estate? If so it appears open eir have decided that all new build estates will be FTTH only. Unfortunately it is a waiting game as to when they will actually run the cable.

There is no fiber infrastructure apart from SIRO which is FTTH but only services 3/4 of the estate, my house being one of the ones left out of this!
    Doesn't seem like anything will be done here so need to find some feasible option for working from home etc.

I just checked number 10 in your estate and SIRO is available. You should be able to get speeds up to 1000Mb/s.

https://siro.ie

I just checked number 10 in your estate and SIRO is available. You should be able to get speeds up to 1000Mb/s.

https://siro.ie

Yeah but a few houses cannot get it. Like mine. A few houses at the end of the estate aren't connected

• Advertisement

Yeah but a few houses cannot get it. Like mine. A few houses at the end of the estate aren't connected

Sorry. I saw you mentioned that already. You should be in the National Broadband Plan. Email Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie explaining your situation how you cannot get a service over 30Mb. They should turn you and your neighbour's homes, that are in a similar situation, into amber dots on their map. If it eventually materialises you should then receive some service.

Did you enquire from SIRO why they cannot serve you? Sometimes it can be a case of a resident not giving permission for a cable on their property.

There also was a mention by the user Marlow of ordering a new VDSL only line and then the new line would come from a nearer fibre enabled cabinet. Out of interest I did a Street View from the nearest cabinet to your estate. I can't see open eir committing the manpower needed but maybe they would.

You could ask some of the smaller providers on

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

about ordering a new VDSL only line and see if they think it is feasible.

It's not a nice situation to be in I'm afraid.

Sorry. I saw you mentioned that already. You should be in the National Broadband Plan. Email Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie explaining your situation how you cannot get a service over 30Mb. They should turn you and your neighbour's homes, that are in a similar situation, into amber dots on their map. If it eventually materialises you should then receive some service.
    Did you enquire from SIRO why they cannot serve you? Sometimes it can be a case of a resident not giving permission for a cable on their property.

There also was a mention by the user Marlow of ordering a new VDSL only line and then the new line would come from a nearer fibre enabled cabinet. Out of interest I did a Street View from the nearest cabinet to your estate. I can't see open eir committing the manpower needed but maybe they would.

You could ask some of the smaller providers on

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

about ordering a new VDSL only line and see if they think it is feasible.

It's not a nice situation to be in I'm afraid.

I've rang SIRO a couple of times. The only explanation that they offer is that the service is unavailable in my estate. They didn't seem to want to deal with it or as you stated, maybe the previous landlord did not give permission to install .
    Thanks for your input and I'll be sure to update this thread if I hear anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

With SIRO, there are very very few issues, why you would not be connected. Like a direct buried cable.

So .. here is your approach:

- find out, which providers are covering the area you are in (not every SIRO partner covers all interconnects)
    - then engage with that provider to find out why your particular home is not covered. It could just be an omission. But at least you might get an answer.

SIRO is a wholesale network. They will not deal with end-users.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Looks like vodafone, digiweb and airwire offer services to some of that estate over siro.
    Your best bet is Airwire, I don't know if they can help but at the very least you should get an honest answer on what the situation is.

Would any of you know if having prepay electricity would be the issue?  As I know the fibre cables for SIRO are run through the ESB infrastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Would any of you know if having prepay electricity would be the issue?  As I know the fibre cables for SIRO are run through the ESB infrastructure.

Totally independent systems. No impact whatsoever.

ED E wrote: »

Totally independent systems. No impact whatsoever.
    Thanks for clearing that up.  Just thinking of anything that could have stopped them from installing!

Thanks for clearing that up.  Just thinking of anything that could have stopped them from installing!

But it's not just you, it's a few houses at the far end of the estate isn't it?
    Fire off some emails to the providers that are on the siro network in your area.

tuxy wrote: »

But it's not just you, it's a few houses at the far end of the estate isn't it?
    Fire off some emails to the providers that are on the siro network in your area.
    Yeah it's more than just my house, it's about 4/5 houses in total, no order to it, just seems like a handful were left out.
    I talked to Vodafone and they said there're plans to finish the estate but they have no ETA.  Not sure what this means, possible they might never finish it in my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

27:
    eircode":null,"county":"LIMERICK","date":null,"error":"","fullAddress":"27 Fernhill North Circular Road, Limerick","townEnabled":false,"maxDSL":null,"maxHSI":null,"maxFTCHSI":null,"maxNGB":"9M_672K_RH","maxNRA":null,"maxFTCNRA":null,"maxDSLServiceCode":null,"maxHSIServiceCode":null,"maxFTCHSIServiceCode":null,"maxNGBServiceCode":"BMB24MB","maxNRAServiceCode":null,"maxFTCNRAServiceCode":null,"phase":"Available Now","phone":null,"validationType":"address","message":null,"redCustomer":false,"lastUpdated":null,"itv":false,"partialAddresses":null,"completed":true,"needsEircode":false,"wideSearch":null,"recommendedBundles":

"ccb":"","ccben":true,"eee":"CHD1"

10:
    eircode":"V94H2TC","county":"LIMERICK","date":null,"error":null,"fullAddress":"9 Fernhill North Circular Road, Limerick","townEnabled":false,"maxDSL":null,"maxHSI":null,"maxFTCHSI":null,"maxNGB":"12M_672K_RH","maxNRA":null,"maxFTCNRA":null,"maxDSLServiceCode":null,"maxHSIServiceCode":null,"maxFTCHSIServiceCode":null,"maxNGBServiceCode":"BMB24MB","maxNRAServiceCode":null,"maxFTCNRAServiceCode":null,"phase":"Available Now","phone":null,"validationType":"address","message":null,"redCustomer":false,"lastUpdated":null,"itv":false,"partialAddresses":null,"completed":true,"needsEircode":false,"wideSearch":null,"recommendedBundles":

ccb":"","ccben":true,"eee":"CHD1"

Direct Fed it would seem. BUT, Airwire says VDSL is available. This would be the Airwire chases OpenEir to get it done method.

SIRO:
    Vodafone
    10: FTTH eligible
    27: Nope

Airwire

I would GUESS that you're on the end of a run and they've not bothered to add another for just a few homes. Getting Airwire to push for VDSL for you might be best.

27:

10:

Direct Fed it would seem. BUT, Airwire says VDSL is available. This would be the Airwire chases OpenEir to get it done method.

SIRO:
    Vodafone

Airwire

I would GUESS that you're on the end of a run and they've not bothered to add another for just a few homes. Getting Airwire to push for VDSL for you might be best.

As I said earlier I did a Street View to the estate from the nearest cabinet. I suspect it would take two men most of a day to run cable from it. It may even require traffic management. I can't see open eir agreeing to it but no harm in asking.

27:

10:

SIRO:
    Vodafone

Airwire

As I said earlier I did a Street View to the estate from the nearest cabinet. I suspect it would take two men most of a day to run cable from it. It may even require traffic management. I can't see open eir agreeing to it but no harm in asking.
    27:
    eircode":null,"county":"LIMERICK","date":null,"error":"","fullAddress":"27 Fernhill North  Circular Road, Limerick","townEnabled":false,"maxDSL":null,"maxHSI":null,"maxFTCHSI":null,"maxNGB":"9M_672K_RH","maxNRA":null,"maxFTCNRA":null,"maxDSLServiceCode":null,"maxHSIServiceCode":null,"maxFTCHSIServiceCode":null,"maxNGBServiceCode":"BMB24MB","maxNRAServiceCode":null,"maxFTCNRAServiceCode":null,"phase":"Available Now","phone":null,"validationType":"address","message":null,"redCustomer":false,"lastUpdated":null,"itv":false,"partialAddresses":null,"completed":true,"needsEircode":false,"wideSearch":null,"recommendedBundles":

"ccb":"","ccben":true,"eee":"CHD1"

10:
    eircode":"V94H2TC","county":"LIMERICK","date":null,"error":null,"fullAddress":"9 Fernhill North  Circular Road, Limerick","townEnabled":false,"maxDSL":null,"maxHSI":null,"maxFTCHSI":null,"maxNGB":"12M_672K_RH","maxNRA":null,"maxFTCNRA":null,"maxDSLServiceCode":null,"maxHSIServiceCode":null,"maxFTCHSIServiceCode":null,"maxNGBServiceCode":"BMB24MB","maxNRAServiceCode":null,"maxFTCNRAServiceCode":null,"phase":"Available Now","phone":null,"validationType":"address","message":null,"redCustomer":false,"lastUpdated":null,"itv":false,"partialAddresses":null,"completed":true,"needsEircode":false,"wideSearch":null,"recommendedBundles":

ccb":"","ccben":true,"eee":"CHD1"

SIRO:
    Vodafone

Airwire

What's funny is 22 and 23 cannot get SIRO.  24 CAN ,27 cannot.  There is no pattern to it.

Only a direct buried cable for the power or a duct collapsed beyond repair would have prevented you from getting SIRO, if you were within the plans.

Also, be mindful, that SIRO only updates their rollout once per month and that premises which don't have Eircodes (like new or previously derelict houses) will have to be checked manually by the operator. The eircode database only gets updated every 3 months. SIRO can take another 3 months before they have a match.

But even if your house doesn't have an eircode, yet, or has only got it in the last 6 months, the providers can identify your premise, if it's enabled/passed. You need to ring them for that.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

Marlow wrote: »
    Only a direct buried cable for the power or a duct collapsed beyond repair would have prevented you from getting SIRO, if you were within the plans.
    /M

Could be a consent issue - in a lot of direct buried areas facade mounted infrastructure is used to serve the premises. If consent is refused by the premise owner (or an adjacent one) - that could explain why only a handful do not have service.

MrO wrote: »
    Could be a consent issue - in a lot of direct buried areas facade mounted infrastructure is used to serve the premises. If consent is refused by the premise owner (or an adjacent one) - that could explain why only a handful do not have service.

Very much so, yes. If ducting wasn't accessible and facade was feasable, they've done that. But if the consent wasn't given, then no go. I've seen an entire road like that being left out in Sligo.

/M

• Advertisement

Just a quick update. Airwire are going to install and provide SIRO to my address, all going well!
    Thanks to everybody for the help.

Just a quick update. Airwire are going to install and provide SIRO to my address, all going well!
    Thanks to everybody for the help.

Good result! Thanks for the update.

Another airwire success story, thanks for the update :)

Did they tell you what the issue was? It may be of use to someone in the future.

They seem to be the only ones who give a damn and did some actual investigating :)
    No, they said it was just left out of the roll out plan. No technical reason given.
    I will find out when I'm talking to them again, I just hope there isn't some other technical issues that stopped Vodafone from rolling out to my address.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

The area has been covered with a surface-retractable solution.

A few house owners didn't give permission, so some blocks were left out.

The good thing about SIRO is, that if you actually engage with them, they come up with alternative plans. Just because they can't cover it like everything else, doesn't mean, that they give up right away.

Bottom line: a couple premises (apart from the ones that didn't give permission) will now be installed ducted since we raised the issue.

The area has been covered with a surface-retractable solution.

A few house owners didn't give permission, so some blocks were left out.

The good thing about SIRO is, that if you actually engage with them, they come up with alternative plans. Just because they can't cover it like everything else, doesn't mean, that they give up right away.

Bottom line: a couple premises (apart from the ones that didn't give permission) will now be installed ducted since we raised the issue.

So they have to dig to serve the OP. Do SIRO require more than one customer who is going to take the service to do this, costly enough, work?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

So they have to dig to serve the OP. Do SIRO require more than one customer who is going to take the service to do this, costly enough, work?

We don't get that detail of information. SIRO may have chosen surface-retractable because too many of the ducts in the area were blocked, collapsed or too tight.

Either way, SIRO are undertaking all civils needed to get to the ESB meter at their own cost and with their own contractors, so the customer does not have to go looking to get this sorted.

We just ask the relevant questions, when a problem arises.

Advertisement