Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner driver - where would I get an insurance quote?

Options
  • 12-10-2018 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

I have no driving experience.
    I did a good few lessons.
    I'm over 30.
    I'm on a provisional licence obviously.
    Where would I get a car insurance quote?
    Oh yes I've a 10 year old car.
    I wasted time filling out details on chill and quotedevil and got nothing not a single effing quote.
    I believe I'm too old for that boxymo thing.
    So who the feck will give someone like me a chance to get insured?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Wouldn't bother with on line, i have been driving years and after filling all details with some providers get "unable to provide quote please ring..."
    you will have to get on the phone,ring brokers etc.. you will get a quote and it wont be cheap, might be better waiting until you pass your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I need practice.
    That's what my instructor says.
    Only quote I got was 4000.
    That's ridiculous.
    How am I supposed to get practice if no company will give me insurance?
    I'm not going to pay 4000. I can't afford it. It's far far too much.
    I just don't think I'm ever going to be given a chance to get driving in this rip off hole of a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

€4000 mad alright, if your parents drive would they have a Aviva policy?
    i would rather pay for more lessons then €4000 for insurance and pass my test.

No unfortunately Aviva's not an option for me.

This has been useless you can close the bloody thread now boards I'm finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,136 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Take more lessons if you need practice?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Just keep doing lessons until you pass your test, same as many other people have done.

Ok I was wondering if a learner driver added someone else more experienced to their insurance would the price go down. I'm guessing probably not as I'd still be the main driver but just wondering. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

quinnd6 wrote:
    This has been useless you can close the bloody thread now boards I'm finished.

With that attitude, do you think anyone would want to help!

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Ok I was wondering if a learner driver added someone else more experienced to their insurance would the price go down. I'm guessing probably not as I'd still be the main driver but just wondering. Anyone know?

Generally, the more named drivers you add, the cheaper the insurance is. But within common sense.
    Add parents, even a friend or two, Just not a mate who has a load of points on his licence.

• Advertisement

Yep sorry I was in a bad mood when I posted the earlier comment as it was looking very negative at that stage.
    Anyway I was trying to find out if you can add a named driver to your insurance who is already insured as the main driver of another car.

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Yep sorry I was in a bad mood when I posted the earlier comment as it was looking very negative at that stage.
    Anyway I was trying to find out if you can add a named driver to your insurance who is already insured as the main driver of another car.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I am insured with Axa for a good few years now. I'm 36 and when I had my (now ex) partner named on my policy a few years ago it brought it down by around eighty euro to around the €500 mark. At that stage I had full no claims bonus and about eight years on a full licence.
    This year I currently have a claim open and its well over a thousand euros but when I enquired if putting my father in his mid sixties on it I was told that it most definitely would NOT bring down the price (I suspect that's understandably because I have an open claim)
    I think what works best to bring down the price is to name a spouse (don't have to be married) but they have their own car insured in their own name. My named driver and I shared an address (no idea if that's relevant) and they wanted his car reg number and policy number of his own insurance.
    Good luck in your getting on the road it's expensive now but worth it if you can suffer the expense of the first few years

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

I am on a provisional at the minute for 2+ years now and insured myself on a skoda fabia 1.2 litre 171. Best quote I got was from First Ireland and it was for €2250 but it has an excess of €3000 which is super high of course. I also got another quote form AIG for €3100 and it had a €750 excess I believe. I decided to take the risk on the First Ireland quote for the first year or two of insurance because end of the day if I do crash I can afford the 3000 excess. And then hopefully later down the line when I have my full license and a year or two under my belt I will look to of course bring that down to something with a more reasonable excess ! I also have no named drivers etc on the policy and a clean driving record. I believe first ireland are open to older cars. But of course no clue how that will effect the quote. As these quotes seem to be almost magic number generators :)

Advertisement