Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One bank of lights not working.

Options
  • 12-10-2018 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi there, I have 2 banks of ceiling lights with approx 12 lights on each. But one is not working when switched on, nothing has tripped out. Might be a stupid question but would one bulb bring down the lot. Don't want to be calling anyone out today for something silly. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

It shouldn’t unless the bulbs are wired in series which is highly unlikely. When you say you have two banks of lights with 12 lights on each, do you mean you have two separate light fixtures with 12 bulbs on each like a chandelier to speak. Or have you 24 spotlights on two separate MCBS

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

Luckysasha wrote: »
    It shouldn’t unless the bulbs are wired in series which is highly unlikely. When you say you have two banks of lights with 12 lights on each, do you mean you have two separate light fixtures with 12 bulbs on each like a chandelier to speak. Or have you 24 spotlights on two separate MCBS
    Thanks for the reply, it's 24 spots on 2 mcbs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Obviously these lights have a common point of failure.
    Either they are not getting a 230 V supply or they are not getting a neutral.
    If it is not the MCB my money is on an issue with the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Try tripping the MCB and resetting it again. Sometimes the MCB can trip but the trip switch wont fall down and it looks like its still up. If the MCB is ok then your best bet is to call an electrician. No more can be done without removing the switch or taking the cover off the fuse board

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

Possibly a faulty light switch or dimmer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,426 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is it a 12v system?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

Thanks for all the replies, the other light switches on the same block are working fine and the wiring on the switch looks solid, the trip switch is ok i think. I need an electrician me thinks??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thanks for all the replies, the other light switches on the same block are working fine and the wiring on the switch looks solid

So the switch could be faulty
    I need an electrician me thinks??

Yes.

Advertisement