Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl MIG

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Shower Doctor

How can 90A weld 6mm? I’d leave it op, looks like a fisher price toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

90A will weld 6mm but you will need multiple passes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Shower Doctor

Won’t get the penetration, not a hope. Be like chicken poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Cheers lads - I'm skeptical too.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Magown3

What about welds less than 6mm?

I have an aldi arc welder and I can't for the life of me get a decent weld out of it.
    I've no welding experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Arc just takes practice, is the metal clean? are your rods dry?
    Is the amperage correct for the rod diameter you are using?

I'd start out by getting some lengths of angle iron cut into 3" long pieces and practice grinding a V into the edges and then butt welding them together, once you strike an arc practice moving it along the weld at a constant speed and height.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

A little more context for my original question - I have one of the 10A-80A Parkside inverter welders and have been surprised at how capable it is. Yes you've got to make multiple passes with thicker material. So my question about the MIG flux core one is curiosity about how these two budget toasters compare! - I'd love to be able to try both side by side.

I suspect that the deal with most of these ultra cheap welders is that they won't last. One thing for sure is that the build quality is consistent with the low price; the clamps and electrodes are junk etc.
    Magown3 wrote: »
    I have an aldi arc welder and I can't for the life of me get a decent weld out of it. I've no welding experience
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    Arc just takes practice

I agree with everything CJ has said. Practice in particular - when you're new to this it's perfectly normal to spend 20 or more frustrating minutes just trying to maintain a damn arc. Just keep at it, lay bead after bead after bead after bead - go through as many rods as you can afford to use a couple of times a week practicing and you'll be flying in no time.

Another little tip is use a sharp pliers and nip a few mm off the rod when you're having trouble striking an arc (and when they're brand new). It exposes non-oxidised core.

Advertisement