Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation on top of insulation

Options
  • 11-10-2018 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi
    I have nine inch joists and have 100mm laid in the attic. I want to now lay an additional 200mm.
    Should I lay the new insulation at right angles to what's there (given the height of the joists this leaves a gap bewteen the two layers) or should I lay it over the top in the same direction as the 100mm already there?
    Any guidance appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi
    I have nine inch joists and have 100mm laid in the attic. I want to now lay an additional 200mm.
    Should I lay the new insulation at right angles to what's there (given the height of the joists this leaves a gap bewteen the two layers) or should I lay it over the top in the same direction as the 100mm already there?
    Any guidance appreciated.

You get 100 mm to bring it up and the 100 on top of that at right angles.

This makes 200mm total.

Don't get one big 200mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

What I done was get 100 mm on top to bring it up level then 200 mm to lay at right angles to it.
    Great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Help4Charlie

Lovely thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

9" joists in the attic sounds very unusual since they don't really have to support much bar maybe a water tank. Have you long spans between supporting walls for such strong joists. Either way you're lucky, easy to fill up with insulation as mentioned above and would make for an easier attic conversion if your head height is sufficient.

Advertisement