Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stihl v husqvarna ..new saw

Options
  • 11-10-2018 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi looking for some opinions and experience on chainsaws.I have a stihl 041 which is still running great but in big timber im finding the vibes from the saw are getting very bad and i end up with pin and needles in my hands. Gonna see if anything can be done with it but i know they were a vibey saw anyway.
    So im thinking of getting a new saw down to a stihl ms362 @ €800.
    local husqvarna guy has 560 xp for €900 but i found a 560xp on gplshop.co.uk for €615..wondering if anyone had got anything from this site?
    I like the 041 handeling and feel also used my father inlaws 290 but was not as happy with that saw. did not feel as nice also leess power. So im looking to see if anyone who had experience with both makes had any advice on handeling ease of use,any problems with either saw. do they perfoen the same? they are abiut the same spec.
    any info welcome
    regards g1xer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭shootermcgee

Look at a stihl 462, big saw and nearly the same weight as both mentioned above, I use a 560 daily and do not rate it at all with it's hot start issues and is a common problem in them, ok when you don't let it run out of fuel. Never used a 362 but here good things about them

• Registered Users Posts: 8 db1690

Just been doing research on saws and im wondering if because of my use for the saw might a 365 be a better option?
    I can cut for a week and the nothing for a month then for 2 to 3 days and leave it for 2 months, This is because of other jobs that i do that take me away for times.The 560 being a pro saw might not like being letft up for long periods but the 365 a semi pro and without autotune might be a better option?v Iknow its a bit heavier but it also has a few more cc?

The 560XPG I’ve had for 5 years is used just as you describe. Best saw I’ve ever owned. Never a single time when it’s let me down or acted up.

I’ve a few saws including a 576XPG and the 560’is almost always everything any job would need. Just a brilliant bit of gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭shootermcgee

JayZeus wrote:
    I’ve a few saws including a 576XPG and the 560’is almost always everything any job would need. Just a brilliant bit of gear.

JayZeus wrote:
    The 560XPG I’ve had for 5 years is used just as you describe. Best saw I’ve ever owned. Never a single time when it’s let me down or acted up.

You must be lucky cause I've had nothing but hot start issues with mine actually traded it on a 261 and have not looked back since

Or you’re unlucky. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Stihl all the way, I use the 170 for gardening Jobs, and have taken down some big tree's...

Tried to husqvarna and they give too much trouble.

Any professional tree surgeons use stihl...

They'll only use the husky for ringing them...

nthclare wrote: »
    Stihl all the way, I use the 170 for gardening Jobs, and have taken down some big tree's...

Tried to husqvarna and they give too much trouble.

Any professional tree surgeons use stihl...

They'll only use the husky for ringing them...

All the forestry fellas we have in for thinning and restricted access felling on our 80Ha of mixed forest happen to use Husqvarna. Of two arborists I know well, one is a husky man and the other swears by Stihl.

Do we really have to get into the brand rivalry rubbish?

It’s not helpful.

The 362 is a good saw. The 560 is a good saw. Users of both will have trouble with a particular unit and they each have their own design flaws.

No saw is a perfect machine and neither manufacturer are any closer than any other to making one.

All I’ll say is that my dealer brought me out to a stump in his yard and showed me how to get the autotune set. Start, run for a minute then into 2 minutes of cuts under load, then work away for the day without any trouble. Stop and start tens of times if not more during the day. Never a glitch. Hot or cold, always a start. Sometimes a second pull when hot, but only now and then and never took a third.

I’d wager the fellas pissing and moaning all over the knowitall forums never do it. They talk about carb resets and version X Y Z being a ‘problem’. My dealer said otherwise and told me what to do to be trouble free. It’s been so.

Stihl vs Husqvarna? Pick what you like and only buy what your dealer has the kit and training to fix. And don’t trust someone who says X saw or X brand is trouble. These are high performance and high quality kit built for pros, not for armchair loggers to be whinging about.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

JayZeus wrote: »
    All the forestry fellas we have in for thinning and restricted access felling on our 80Ha of mixed forest happen to use Husqvarna. Of two arborists I know well, one is a husky man and the other swears by Stihl.

Do we really have to get into the brand rivalry rubbish?

It’s not helpful.

The 362 is a good saw. The 560 is a good saw. Users of both will have trouble with a particular unit and they each have their own design flaws.

No saw is a perfect machine and neither manufacturer are any closer than any other to making one.

All I’ll say is that my dealer brought me out to a stump in his yard and showed me how to get the autotune set. Start, run for a minute then into 2 minutes of cuts under load, then work away for the day without any trouble. Stop and start tens of times if not more during the day. Never a glitch. Hot or cold, always a start. Sometimes a second pull when hot, but only now and then and never took a third.

I’d wager the fellas pissing and moaning all over the knowitall forums never do it. They talk about carb resets and version X Y Z being a ‘problem’. My dealer said otherwise and told me what to do to be trouble free. It’s been so.

Stihl vs Husqvarna? Pick what you like and only buy what your dealer has the kit and training to fix. And don’t trust someone who says X saw or X brand is trouble. These are high performance and high quality kit built for pros, not for armchair loggers to be whinging about.

At last, a man talking sense!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

db1690 wrote: »
    Just been doing research on saws and im wondering if because of my use for the saw might a 365 be a better option?
    I can cut for a week and the nothing for a month then for 2 to 3 days and leave it for 2 months, This is because of other jobs that i do that take me away for times.The 560 being a pro saw might not like being letft up for long periods but the 365 a semi pro and without autotune might be a better option?v Iknow its a bit heavier but it also has a few more cc?

Have my 365 for 18 years (traded in a blown -up 61)- never missed a beat. 3 pulls (choke on) , 3 pulls (choke off) every time. Never a problem with hot starting. Intermittent use , logging up about 20 tonnes a year - best tool i've ever bought.

Advertisement