Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving through flood in an EV!

Options
  • 11-10-2018 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭

Something I hadn't considered until my wife mentioned some local flooding last night, but whats the best way to handle road flooding in an EV?

In the past in my old Skoda I would be comfortable enough negotiating floods that were just below the level of the bumper but are EVs capable of taking any water at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There you go...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭denismc

KCross wrote: »
    There you go...

Jesus! I hope my wife doesn't see that! XD

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

There's a whole you tube channel "rich rebuilds"
    Where he's mainly salvaged flood damaged teslas, some more than others... I'll see if I can fire up a link...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Yeah... EVs handle flooding better than combustion vehicles.
    The drivetrain is sealed and unlike combustion doesn't require air to operate.
    If the electronics inside the dash were properly sealed you could drive an EV fully submerged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

https://youtu.be/NuAMczraBIM

Tends to bitch about tesla the company but loves the product...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭denismc

n97 mini wrote: »

OMG, these are elected TDs, they run the country! 10/10 for entertainment value though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I wonder if we'll see an IP67 rated EV?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

cros13 wrote: »
    Yeah... EVs handle flooding better than combustion vehicles.
    The drivetrain is sealed and unlike combustion doesn't require air to operate.
    If the electronics inside the dash were properly sealed you could drive an EV fully submerged.

Yeah, a diesel engine may well be toast if it ingests water, and the air intakes are ridiculously low on some modern cars.

Advertisement