Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Irish teacher

Options
  • 10-10-2018 4:52pm

Since day one of 5th Year I still do not have an Irish teacher. I'm ordinary level so not too worried. Soon the HL teacher is leaving so the other OL teacher will probably teach the Higher Irish class, leaving two OL classes without a teacher. The job was advertised twice with today being the deadline. This Irish teacher situation is chronic.

I really wish I was just exempt because I don't need Irish. I was born in Lithuania and can speak Lithuanian fluently so I have a second language.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lildaisy

Gabrielius wrote: »
    Since day one of 5th Year I still do not have an Irish teacher. I'm ordinary level so not too worried. Soon the HL teacher is leaving so the other OL teacher will probably teach the Higher Irish class, leaving two OL classes without a teacher. The job was advertised twice with today being the deadline. This Irish teacher situation is chronic.

I really wish I was just exempt because I don't need Irish. I was born in Lithuania and can speak Lithuanian fluently so I have a second language.

Look into the NUI exemption. Because you are born abroad you will get it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

lildaisy wrote: »
    Look into the NUI exemption. Because you are born abroad you will get it

This.
    You won't need Irish for an NUI application, as you can use your Lithuanian (presuming you get the required grade*).
    It's a pity for the students who 'do' want to do the subject, but Irish teachers are like gold dust now. It is really difficult to find Irish teachers.

* Don't take Lithuanian as a definite H1, just because you are a native speaker. Make sure to take a few classes with a Lithuanian teacher in the run up to the exams. The statistics every year show a large number of students get a shock in the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ggg16

We had a situation where there was no teacher for a full year. Eventually two classes were put in together in the lecture hall with another teacher monitoring discipline as one taught.

Advertisement