Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New estate no broadband

Options
  • 09-10-2018 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a new house in as estate with about 150 houses planned.

About 30 houses have people moved in and the rest are still under construction.

At the moment eir are unable to offer broadband in the estate and the nearest cab is >2km away.

Are we likely to get FTTH or will they pop up a cab near the estate ?

Anyone have experience with this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Cork981 wrote: »
    I recently bought a new house in as estate with about 150 houses planned.

About 30 houses have people moved in and the rest are still under construction.

At the moment eir are unable to offer broadband in the estate and the nearest cab is >2km away.

Are we likely to get FTTH or will they pop up a cab near the estate ?

Anyone have experience with this ?

Yes. There seems to be one of these threads every week about new estates. The received wisdom is that all new estates will get FTTH, the issue for you is when that will happen. Have you tried your Eircode on

https://fibrerollout.ie (check 300k)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Have eircodes been assigned to the premises ?

Before you have an eircode, OpenEir are unlikely to index the area for FTTH at all.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Cork981

Marlow wrote: »
    Have eircodes been assigned to the premises ?

Before you have an eircode, OpenEir are unlikely to index the area for FTTH at all.

/M

Yeah some of the first phase have on eircode but still no broadband available.

Cork981 wrote: »
    Yeah some of the first phase have on eircode but still no broadband available.

Ok. Here's the task: the ones that have eircodes need to contact one of the providers with a house logo at: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

That will result in the ones with an eircode being indexed for either FTTC or FTTH. With a cab being that far away, it's likely to be FTTH. If the estate is going to get FTTH, the remaining houses will have to wait for their eircode.

OpenEIR has recently taken the stance that they refuse to roll out FTTH to premises, unless an eircode has been assigned. If you do have an eircode for your premise, feel free to PM me for more information. If not, there's no point.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Cork981

Marlow wrote: »
    Ok. Here's the task: the ones that have eircodes need to contact one of the providers with a house logo at: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

That will result in the ones with an eircode being indexed for either FTTC or FTTH. With a cab being that far away, it's likely to be FTTH. If the estate is going to get FTTH, the remaining houses will have to wait for their eircode.

OpenEIR has recently taken the stance that they refuse to roll out FTTH to premises, unless an eircode has been assigned. If you do have an eircode for your premise, feel free to PM me for more information. If not, there's no point.

/M

Thanks I’ll get someone to contact one of those providers and see what they come back with, eir have provided no useful information so far.

Unfortunate I don’t have an eircode for my house yet, still some work to do on it.

I’m currently using the eircode of the show houses and all come back blank.

• Advertisement

It's not going to be a fast process, but it's possible, if the provider is willing to put the leg work in.

Eir retail tends to be very stuck in their structures.

/M

Hi,

based on what you send me in a PM, while you're marked down as a VDSL area (eFiber), you're so far out, that you're in a NBP intervention area according to the DCCAE map.

Your best bet is to check the Ireland Offline broadband map ( http://irelandoffline.org/map/#!/map ) and look for alternative providers until the area gets covered with fibre.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

All new build housing estates are for ftth
    It's a bit of a lenghtly process only when the row of houses or footpath finished down to last house on that row will open eir begin to start ducting.
    Then the installing of distribution points and putting fibre up them then the testing and splicing them happens. Quickest your going to get it is a month after the houses are done more like 3 months.
    Even the providers don't know when it gets done.

Advertisement