Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging F2000 modem

Options
  • 09-10-2018 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭

I’m trying to bridge an eir F2000 modem. I had a TP link Archer C2 modem lying around so I put the eir modem into bridged mode and connected it to the TP link modem but there’s no internet connection when I do this. Anyone know if this router is compatible with an Eir F2000 modem and if not, can you point me in the direction of one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Brian017 wrote: »
    I’m trying to bridge an eir F2000 modem. I had a TP link Archer C2 modem lying around so I put the eir modem into bridged mode and connected it to the TP link modem but there’s no internet connection when I do this. Anyone know if this router is compatible with an Eir F2000 modem and if not, can you point me in the direction of one?

Did you setup the Archer to get an IP address. You can either tag the wan port with vlan10 or set it up to dial pppoe on the wan to get an IP address

https://www.tp-link.com/au/faq-1766.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Brian017

Did you setup the Archer to get an IP address. You can either tag the wan port with vlan10 or set it up to dial pppoe on the wan to get an IP address

Do I connect the Ethernet cable coming from the attic into the WAN port on the F2000 or the WAN on the archer? Where do I put the Ethernet cable used to link the two? Just want to make sure I got it connected first

Do I connect the Ethernet cable coming from the attic into the WAN port on the F2000 or the WAN on the archer? Where do I put the Ethernet cable used to link the two? Just want to make sure I got it connected first

You haven't said which service you have FTTH or VDSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Brian017

You haven't said which service you have FTTH or VDSL?

Sorry, FTTH

Sorry, FTTH

You don't need to bridge the f2000, bridging is only required if you need a modem. Replace the f2000 with the Archer using the guide I posted above to set it to vlan 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

You don't need to bridge the f2000, bridging is only required if you need a modem. Replace the f2000 with the Archer using the guide I posted above to set it to vlan 10

Although you loose your VOIP as Eir won't release the SiP information. But worth just replacing the F2000 as you said if you don't use the VOIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

m99T wrote: »
    Although you loose your VOIP as Eir won't release the SiP information. But worth just replacing the F2000 as you said if you don't use the VOIP.

You sure? I got the phone to work with eir FTTH with a Sonicwall and a NAT rule to the F2000 (or maybe phone directly? I can't remember). I had the F2000 (or Phone) on a VLAN 10 subinterface on the LAN side also, that this NAT pointed to.

OEWfy23.jpg

mLdPxRG.jpg

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

You sure? I got the phone to work with eir FTTH with a Sonicwall and a NAT rule.

OEWfy23.jpg

Nate

Ladies and Gents here we have a true gem.

Going to put this into action in a few sites tonight and see how it fairs out. Although I would like to use the analog ports on the modem still, bridging seems to disable them for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

You sure? I got the phone to work with eir FTTH with a Sonicwall and a NAT rule.

Nate

That's interesting. Have you the F2000 WAN connected to a LAN port on the Sonicwall? Have you noticed any issues with one-way audio inbound calls not ringing etc?

That's interesting. Have you the F2000 WAN connected to a LAN port on the Sonicwall? Have you noticed any issues with one-way audio inbound calls not ringing etc?

I had issues with one way Audio all the way through until I stumbled upon the correct NAT rule.

I'm Fairly certain the F2000 was on the LAN VLAN 10 sub interface. It's not setup anymore since the ISP was changed to Digiweb, and it was over a year ago I set it up.

I think the gist is to Double NAT the F2000 for just the sip ports, the VLAN 10 requirement is what makes it tricky on the LAN Side.

EDIT:- To Explain the NAT rule

Any Traffic on TCP or UDP ports 5060 to 5100, hitting the WAN interface (VLAN 10 on the WAN), gets NATed to the "F2000-Phonehack" which is the F2000 residing on the VLAN 10 subnet on the LAN.

• Advertisement

I had issues with one way Audio all the way through until I stumbled upon the correct NAT rule.

I'm Fairly certain the F2000 was on the LAN VLAN 10 sub interface. It's not setup anymore since the ISP was changed to Digiweb, and it was over a year ago I set it up.

I think the gist is to Double NAT the F2000, the VLAN 10 requirement is what makes it tricky on the LAN Side..

It's certainly interesting that you managed to get it working but I think the current best solution to the VoIP issue is tuxy's. A cheap switch connected to the ONT then each router connecting to the switch. The two routers will get public IPs and the F2000 can be left to deal with the VoIP.

You get 2 public IPs? Cool.

EDIT:- Infinitely better that the hackery I had to endure :)

Nate

You get 2 public IPs? Cool.

EDIT:- Infinitely better that the hackery I had to endure :)

Nate

On eir you do apparently. He plugged in three devices and got 3 separate public IPs. Although if this becomes widely used they may clamp down.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

On eir you do apparently. He plugged in three devices and got 3 separate public IPs. Although if this becomes widely used they may clamp down.

The NGA pools are small and manually assigned. An area might have a pool of 250, use too many and your neighbours start auth failing. Starvation has happened many times (its easier to manage 9 vs 900 pools).

Big problem, many TP "Archer" units do not support VLAN tagging on WAN. Even expensive ones. You'd need to strip the tags with the 2000.

ED E wrote: »
    The NGA pools are small and manually assigned. An area might have a pool of 250, use too many and your neighbours start auth failing. Starvation has happened many times (its easier to manage 9 vs 900 pools).

Big problem, many TP "Archer" units do not support VLAN tagging on WAN. Even expensive ones. You'd need to strip the tags with the 2000.

Another option I considered if they ever started restricting IPv4 was to put the F2000 on IPv6 for VoIP and leave whatever third-party router on IPv4 only or perhaps would it be possible to get more than one IPv6 delegated prefix do you know?

Edit: Actually this most likely is a non-runner. I don't think you can reach the SIP server over IPv6.

Advertisement