Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel cladding roof insulation

Options
  • 09-10-2018 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

Looking at options for insulating roof of house extension. Roof will be steel cladding box profile, approx .6mm thick.

Spray foam insulation seems to be more economical than other options and have contacted some suppliers about it...
    one recommends 3" closed cell,
    other recommends 1" closed cell on top with 4" open cell underneath it.
    other recommends 2" closed cell or 4" open cell

Any advice on this please?

Also would extra insulation, such as batts or rolls be needed in addition to the spray foam above?

Appreciate your helpful replies! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Insulated panel - buy the whole lot as one go. Single skin panels are a lot less common these days.

What's the reason for corrugated roof? Aesthetics?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭briaineo

I considered this option, there is a snag with the insulated composite panel and it the fact that both sides contain metal and to noise proof this a special sound board is required which is not far off the cost of the insulated panel itself (Kingspan ones)

Tata steel do a sheet: if you google tata urban colour you’ll find it.

I decided against the metal and went with a membrane; life span is “supposed” to be better from membranes but really not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 6 whiskey79

Insulated panel - buy the whole lot as one go. Single skin panels are a lot less common these days.

What's the reason for corrugated roof? Aesthetics?

Thanks Metric Tensor. Was looking at the insulated panels too and trying to get them in seconds. would additional insulation such as rockrool rolls be needed with the thicker insulated panels?

Reason for corrugated roof is price and aesthetics. Hopefully be easier to put up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,141 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

briaineo wrote: »
    I considered this option, there is a snag with the insulated composite panel and it the fact that both sides contain metal and to noise proof this a special sound board is required which is not far off the cost of the insulated panel itself (Kingspan ones)

I decided against the metal and went with a membrane; life span is “supposed” to be better from membranes but really not sure

Who does the Tata Urban Colour in Ireland? Any prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 whiskey79

briaineo wrote: »

Thanks briaineo. I didn't realise that noise proofing could be an issue with insulated panels. That's one reason why the combination of closed and open cell spray foam is appealing.

The tata urban colour certainly does look good..I'd say its out of my budget for this though :)

Yes the lifespan of membranes probably longer alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭briaineo

Who does the Tata Urban Colour in Ireland? Any prices?

Laydex are Irish reps

It comes in around €80 per meter sq supply and fit including insulation but plus vodka and tonic

Advertisement